• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
Can I just bypass the relay& switch and make another switch that powers the compressor directly?

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
I thought about that when I went through this in 1998 when I moved to tx. Too risky to bypass the safety and defrost sensors, won't run long until the evap ices over.

I went through all the components and tested each. What a pita. I had it isolated down to the climate control and found a way to bypass it until I could replace it.

Let me check my helms and honda electrical manual. I think I took notes and wrote them in the books. I need to do a self refresher course on my end and check the schematic.

Pm me your phone number. This is will go a lot faster w both of us at our cars

I need to know who,how the system was installed to understand the history

Do you have a volt,ohm meter?

Next thing is I want to isolate the climate control and verify the radiator fan and thermo connectors.

I have,had three crxs w working ac, but they have all lost the charge. Electrically, I think the ac system has been solid for me. 2 of those cars are sitting 30 feet right now waiting to help. So don't get discouraged

Let me find and review my data and ill get back to you
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
went over the schematics and notes.

I'll call ya shortly. I need to confirm all components are installed propery and that the three fuses are good and giving power first.

by tying off the pressure switch, we've ignored the refrigerant side and ate only focusing on electrical. I have to scan the schematics for you and the component diagrams. best one came off the helms electrical manual page 133.
Keepin' it OEM

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
It just gets worse and worse.
ydyvuhyh.jpg
Wire harness that leads inside passenger foot well to the "delay control" that is for the ac.
Maybe this is the main problem for a compressor not starting?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Im reading 12v on the left blue/red wire and on the right is 0v.. maybe this explains the reason why the compressor does not kick in.. but ill wait till the radiator fan and condenser fan get connected to the right place to avoid shortages in the climate control device.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Great find!  Correct, do not operate the ac until we get the fan sorted out. 

Based on our conversation, I think the cause ofhte issue is the radiator fan/thermo wiring.

Heres pages 132-35 out of the Helm's electrical manual.

So heres some good data from Honda.  I highlighted some stuff to simplifiy.  Notice on the schematics where the three fuses are.  And page 2 of schematics, I noted where we can cut in to confirm the climate control.

But first, off to solve the fan wiring...

Digest this info after we get to the fan stuff.  WE might not need it

Slide1_001.JPG

Slide2_001.JPG

Slide3_001.JPG

Slide4_001.JPG

Slide5_001.JPG

Slide6_001.JPG

Again, hold off on this info until we get to the rad wiring set

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

These pix are taken under the tranny, pointing to the bottom of the radiator.  you can see the large rad hose as a ref and the thermo switch.

First pix, my 2 fingers are on the connectors that I got backwards that blew out my ac climate control after I changed radiators back in 96.  These are installed correctly in this configuration. I have to pull the casing off the harnesses to get to the wires.  They are very similar in color, not sure if there are stripes. I noticed yesterday, the wire goign to the fan, the black wire, was larger then teh wire on the other connector.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

same area but a little more toward the passenger side angle to show the main harness.  Notice my middle finger, One of these connects comes from the one touching my finger nail, and the other is just an inch below.  So they are very close.

Now, take pix of yours and post. show the wiring job after you got your rad fan working again.  Also, try and take a pix of the condensor fan area also. I need to see how the previous owner cut this area up.

I'll take a look under my glove box see if I can match those wires you had shown above.  I want to see if they cut something off the blue/red wire, or they just cut it.

This pix is taken between the fan box and the evap box directly behind the center cousol pocket is where the old cassettes were supposed to be held for storage.  When I did this in 96, I had the consol out. I followed the blue/red wire, shaved a little of the casing off and used an aligator click and attached the other end to ground, then voila, my ac came on and I knew the climate control was the issue.  But hold this until after we get to the rad stuff.

IMG_1107.JPG

The large orange, brown, green black wires are my speaker wires, ignor them.  focus on the white label, just above that, you will just barely see 2 blue/red wires encased by clear pvc protective cover.  Thats the wire to and from the T stat.

Keepin' it OEM

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Very helpful sir. I just got done looking over my harness and gutted most of the plastic shroud covering and this is what I got..
Posted ImagePosted Image
I connected the black and blue/yellow to the aftermarket fan that is supposed to be the condenser fan. I looked into the harness I bought from the junkyard.

Is this loop ok?
Posted Image
This was looped like this, should I leave this like this or is this modified?

This is before passenger headlight.
Posted Image
Is this the actual radiator fan wiring?
Posted Image

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I am enjoying this thread.  Particularly as I may have to reinstall AC in one of my cars.  Keep it going.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I have to get off to work, but will compare my wiring tonight

I get the first pix

second pix has the two wires in your hand? where did the come from? I assume they did not come from the condenser fan? are there stripes on them?

pix three, what does that connector go to?

could you retake pix of 4&5, but back it up a little so I can get a point of reference to the car? looks like 4 is engine side if radiator. I think I get pix 5

I noticed pix 1&2 are spliced differently, pix 1 has red heat shrink, 2 has black. are you swapping between the ac harness installed in the car now vs the ac harness you just got from the junkie, or were the pix taken before,after wire splicing?

when I compare to yours and mine, my wires are encased, so I'll need to locate a convenient place to open the casing to see my wire color.

can you get a pix of the engine side of those connections between the rad fan and the coolant reservoir tank?

when I look at the second wire schematics from Honda I posted above, it shows the car side of the condenser harness to be black and blue/yellow like you have in the first pix, that looks good. but your second pix w black heat shrink by the connector looks like the black wire has a yellow stripe? the inconsistencies are confusing me.

try this for me,.. I remember after I blew my climate control, the green led on the ac switch would come on, but it was half as bright as before. kind of hard to tell comparing to the Amber LEDs above the silver push buttons. curios if you notice your green led to be a little dim?
Keepin' it OEM

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Reply Second picture- wires are from the ac harness within the black covering (exposed in pictures). They were cut and not in use and I connected them to the ac fan. Third picture- This connector was found within the main harness and ac, looks like it just goes back to the relays. It's unknown to me. The first picture is how I connected the fan using the junkyard wiring as a reference. Disregard second picture. ____________________________________________ New images uqe6e3az.jpg I drew this so let me know if it clears things up a bit. The main wiring harness has more wires of course but I didn't include them in because its not part of the ac, I only included 2 wires that look like they are for the radiator fan not condenser. e4erajym.jpguta8ygug.jpg

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Btw-The green led is sort of dim but when I do power the blower fan to the highest setting the green light gets brighter.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
sorry, I worked all today as well, I didn't get to it today
Keepin' it OEM

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
No worries. I was connecting things and the condenser was acting up.. it was on a low power when the car was on the ignition switch start setting and when I started it the fan would still blow on a low setting.. the third relay going "right to left" was ticking fast at a weird pattern. That's about it so far.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
I cranked another 12 hour day. sorry, another day lost...

I think we need to pull the wiring schematic for the rad fan and thermo switch. I'm certain both the rad and cond fans are either on or off, no speed variation. the relays just turn current on @ 12v.

the relay clicking is not right. the low,high speed fan is not right. there's gotta be some more wiring out of wack.

thnx for the pix, they really set the stage for this.

d
Keepin' it OEM