• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Honda CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
I need pictures for the installation of this bar..I seen members post pictures of it installed but only half of the installation is shown, im looking for close up pictures of the different area connections or bolt mounts to the subframe. Mainly ideas on how to mount it under the subframe of the crx.. should I weld in the bolts or drill holes to keep that sucker from being too low?..

Any pictures would help. Thank you.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

I could be way off here, but doesn't the Suspension Techniques front sway bar just replace the factory one?  

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I have this one. I thought it was to replace the stock one but I was wrong.

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Not so sure if anyone knows anything about this sway bar but any help would be appreciated. I believe its installed like the picture I posted but still not too sure.

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery

This sway bar bolts under the front subframe, and works with the stock sway bar.  
I basically mirrors the factory sway bar in a lower location.
You will actually have two front sway bars.
This did this because no one wanted to remove the entire front subframe just to change the sway bar.
These were quick and easy to install, like the Lightspeed sway bars, which I think is the one in the photo since it has cadmium plating.
That, and price, are the reason no one really bought the Mugen 21 mm front sway bar.

I think you are missing some parts.
Is that all you have?
The plate in the photo above the sway bar bracket you posted is not factory, and you need that plate too.
The Lightspeed bar had a plate that bolted to one of the subframe bolts on each side.
Then the sway bar brackets would bolt to that.

There should be some kind of bracket that bolts to the subframe for the sway bar brackets to bolt to.
You can always line it up since the sway is designed to use the stock end link holes, and figure out where it would line up with the subframe.
But you the plates that bolt to the subframe for this to work.

If you put this on, you really should mount a good rear sway bar.  Our cars understeer, or basically refuse to turn, when cornering hard.  Without a rear sway bar, you will probably have more understeer.  You want to stiffen the rear, which is the weak point on our cars, for better handling.

You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Yes sir that is all, except for some extra bushing.
Im a little handy with a MIG I have here and I was thinking maybe I can weld in some bolts to the sub frame.

I did use the doge caravan sway bar on the rear and it did stiff things up so im set for now until I find something else to do.
You wouldn't have any pictures or design of these missing plates?

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT

Supposedly my car has a ST front sway.  Here's a pic of the mounting plate:

2A726E4E-74F7-4A87-9154-68B6C6EDE821_zps

Posted Image

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Does the hump in between the brackets make a difference if it faces up or down?
I don't have that hump on my exhaust system and the Swaybar would contact with it if I don't point it down.. I can also make a tick 2by3 in steel plate with welded bolts that can push the bar down a bit so it wouldn't hit the exhaust pipes.

Buford

• Merlin
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Toyota Tundra SR5

Jackson Racing's front sway bar kit was an additional bar added to the stock bar.

Buford Out

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
What bar from the pictures I posted is the jackson racing bar?
The green one I posted is an st bar correct?

Richardcoto452th

• OEM
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
e2e8y5aq.jpge6ada5an.jpgyqahabaj.jpgjuhaja4a.jpgtavehu5y.jpg Made my own mount and drilled holes on the piece of metal, cut the heads off the bolts and welded both sides of the bolts. Then welded the brackets onto the sub frame over the bolts that hold it into the chassis since I won't be removing this part off the vehicle I didn't see any need for it at the time. The bar was upside down for the first day because the exhaust pipe didn't give enough clearance, but I handled that by adding a slight elbow right underneath the sub frame and reversing the sway bar (pictures will be posted soon) My car was lowered by loosening the adjustment nuts before I had this bar. Now the problem is that the bar raised the front end and I can't quite figure out why.. I dropped it before I tightened everything up but it looks like it raised from 1.50 in to 3 in. Maybe the bushings need to be worn a bit for this change to occur? I don't know but currently im thinking of raising the cars 4 corners again unless someone out here can explain why it raised my front end.. Thanks for looking people. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Looks pretty good. I personally would not have put the plates over the subframe bolts in case you need to get to it later, but you can always grind it off at that time. About your car being raised--the only reason a sway bar would do that is if it is binding somewhere. Check to make sure nothing is over tightened, and make sure it's all tightened while the car is down on its weight. Those urethane bushings shouldn't settle much, if any.
No power . . . no weight