• You cannot reply to this topic
238 replies to this topic

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage

that's just the easy access hole.. just push that back in and fire it up..

sorry for your luck man.. i'm kind of going through the same thing with a Kia i bought.. owner did not disclose all the issues.. i've been fixing stuff left and right since september and it's still not on the road. :(

I couldn't believe the amount of smoke when that happened. I think its because the fluids sprayed all over the exhaust header. Yeah its upsetting, I would much rather have a B series now that its almost a drop in scenario, just need the axles essentially and the rear mount, and a motor. What I had planned was to drive it this summer with the D16a1, because it does seem pretty quick just like that, and then work on a B series this winter to swap in.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
OBD-2 B20Z! Then there will be more than 1!

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

C_R-ex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX
Car looks good man , sorry to here about the motor , you will get her back up and running and better than ever

shauno

Crazy story! so you bought a car from vancouver and drove to Cranbrook?? Knowing there was a tick? Wow. You lucky you made it bro.

I would be stoked with all the goodies that puppy came with.

Only reved it to 4k huh? ;)

Looks like a great platform to build on but I wouldn't trust a spare motor either. Just grab another from the yard and be done with it.

cheers
Time to kick some ricer butt!

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Not so easy just to get a spare motor around here bro. Yeah I kept it really cool, he said it was only a valve so I was trying to be careful in case it was something that was just a quick fix like valve train or water pump. The spare motor hes going to send me I'm going to rip it all down and do the rod bearings, rings, maybe connecting rods. That way Im not scared to drive the thing.

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 civic si
hey...glad to see you got a 3g...sorry about your mischief...hope everything turns out....
So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thank you very much guys, I know I have posted it on in another thread, But I think this is going to be my new build thread for this civic, so here are some photos of the work that I have done so far.

Below is a photo of the old motor in the car, before I started to rip it apart because of the rod.

Posted Image

And here is a photo of the head pulled and ready for a port.

Posted Image

Here is a photo of the new valve cover that's going on the car, It was sandblasted when I got it. I used VHT High Temp Wrinkle Paint. The trick to getting a good pattern is cross hatching the layers when you spray it. Do not wait much more than 5 minutes between coats, and make sure to use at least 3 heavy coats.

Posted Image

I used Frog brand tape for all of this, I didn't need to bother with taping the lettering because I sanded and polished the letters to make it look pretty.

Posted Image

And here is a photo of the valve cover when it first started to dry. The paint does not wrinkle until the paint starts to dry.

Posted Image

And all completed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Things to come soon are to finish cleaning the head, maybe getting it cleaned up on a mill to make sure its fully square. I also have plans on ordering all new rods and pistons, bearings ect. I have to wait till the new block shows up before I can do so, as I don't know if the block needs boring.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I worked on the car for a while today. Never snapped too many photos, but I did take out all the head valves, put them on my lathe and clean them all up with some scotchbrite. It should flow that much better now I got all the gunk off the valves.

Posted Image

Off to work tomorrow. When I come back I will take some more photos of the head all cleaned up. I'm still debating coating the head to make it look pretty, but that might be a little much. I'm also working on the overhead strut bar, refinishing it, and repainting the brackets.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I spent today working on re-furbishing my overhead strut bar. So after a little sandblasting and some paint, it came out pretty damn good compared to what it was when I stared.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My head is off to the machine shop for a port job. I will have a few pictures up of the work once I get it back.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Here we go, the head is off and has been decked and cleaned.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have ordered the a new gasket kit from Rockauto.com, a full timing belt and tensioner kit. Also a friend has shipped me my new donor block, and crank from Washington. What a good guy to deal with, props. Cheap to ship too, only $65 for a whole bottom end. Once is arrives, I can take it to the shop to get the sleeves bored if needed.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Some more pictures of the work I've done. The old motor is out and ready for a new heart. The head is ported and polished and ready to put back together, the block is going to be worked on very very soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
Nice, its coming along very well! Must be great being a machinist! This is the 86-89 Teg motor right? Is there any way as a machinist you can make new oil pumps or find a way to refurbish the old ones? Just wondering.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
UH I wished, I just got mine out and I'm having a good look at it. I think with a cnc, it wouldn't be too hard. It is a D16a1, Im not 100% if its a black top or brown top.

I just received my ARP studs, water pump, timing belt, tensioner and gasket kit.

Posted Image

Got the new motor a couple days ago, just cleaning it all up now getting ready for the rebuild. I checked the bores today, 75.01mm - 75.04mm. All within spec, so I'm going to order the pistons probably tonight or tomorrow. If they are that good, then I'm hoping the crank is that good too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Just some updates, obviously I have been making new threads on the stuff that I am learning, but I always like to update this thread for the plethora of information. You can find some photos below of the arp install, and custom made cut to make one fit ect.

Arp Stud install, some thread sealer

Posted Image

Pistons and rings prior to machining

Posted Image

Some other photos of the build and arps

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oil Pump

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test fitting everything

Posted Image

I had to machine some snap rings into my pistons to because the rods were fully floating. Used my machine lathe and some 3/4" snap rings, the final product is as seen below. Eagle rods, and high compression pistons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
Hmmmm, spotting an oil cooler, did the teg motors come with oil coolers? or is that borrowed from another motor? I have one for 3G, 4G, and 3 for the 5G but I think they are all different.