K20 Crx?

• You cannot reply to this topic
57 replies to this topic

evers87crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx si
me and my friend took about 3 months to finish the k swap on his 2g crx, at first we didnt know what we were getting into, but got a little help from
people we know, the wiring was a nightmare, and then cutting and welding, we spent lot of money on that thing but it was all worth it
that crx is fast as hell, but one day on the freeway some sick ass evo 8 with a roadcage and the loudest turbo i ever heard raced us and took us by like
two cars =/.........so now we going nitrous on the k laugh.gif 150 wet shot on stock motor is the goal right now, we will see what happens biggrin.gif

Vicious

QUOTE (cahitapower @ Feb 25 2010, 02:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wait abit longer..from what i understand hasport are coming out with mounts and axles for the k swap into our cars should be by the end of this year... happy.gif

are you sure? have you talked to keith? because last time he spoke on the topic of mounts for the 1g he said that d-series mounts were next on the list. and i hate to say it but i doubt k mounts would sell much ph34r.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
I'll second that. To do it right would require much more than a "Bolt-in Deal" like we can enjoy from Hasport for the B series engine. That K motor is tall and will be difficult to get positioned so you have simple things like ground clearance, a hood that shuts, and axles that are straight enough to last. I'm not saying Keith isn't going to try, I'm just saying it's going to be a lot of work to get it right.

Hasport doesn't design and build junk. I'm sure they will only release something like this into the wild if they can do it right. cool.gif And, more importantly, doesn't require super high fab skills to finish the job after you buy their mount kit and axles. Otherwise, they exclude too many people from being able to do it.

There's also the small problem of spending $12k+ on a 1G/3G k20 project, when the whole thing will only be worth about $5k when you're done. So it truely has to be a labor of love. These cars are worth much more un-molested.

Haven't you guys noticed that the two or three K swaps that have been swapped into the 1G/3G, there are NO close up shots of things like mounts, ground clearance, hood clearance, and axle angles? These guys show up on the forum, jump up and down all giddy saying "looky at what I've done everyone!" But what they don't do is REALLY let us look at what they've done. I've seen you guys ask for these pictures. But alas, the people that claim to have done this, share not. Humm, I wonder why...... dry.gif

If you're so proud of what you've done, why whouldn't you share it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against this whole idea. I think it would be totally BAD ASS to do one of these swaps. cool.gif

David
Sharing with others what I do for myself!

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 civic si
Well its true what David said about only a small amount of people are going to do these swaps in to our 1/3gen civics..but i see it as not no many people are going to be doing them because there arent to many 1/3gens out there to begin with or people that do have one and are building them...because from what i see you can get a k swap for about 700 dollars and Im pretty sure that when hasport comes out with the mounts it wont be far much more then the b series mounts...

I myself am going K on my 3gen in the near future and when i found out there is a member on this website that works at Hasport i quickly went and asked him and this is what he said(this was last year in September): We are looking at having K-series mounts some time next year.
We will post to this site and others when they are available.
Thanks for asking.
Keith

So lets have hope for Hasport!....

Frank

So MuCh In SUcH A SmALL BoX

Project Build "CahitaPower"

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (cahitapower @ Feb 26 2010, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well its true what David said about only a small amount of people are going to do these swaps in to our 1/3gen civics..but i see it as not no many people are going to be doing them because there arent to many 1/3gens out there to begin with or people that do have one and are building them...because from what i see you can get a k swap for about 700 dollars and Im pretty sure that when hasport comes out with the mounts it wont be far much more then the b series mounts...

I myself am going K on my 3gen in the near future and when i found out there is a member on this website that works at Hasport i quickly went and asked him and this is what he said(this was last year in September): We are looking at having K-series mounts some time next year.
We will post to this site and others when they are available.
Thanks for asking.
Keith

So lets have hope for Hasport!....

Frank

You can buy a K20, with trans, engine harness, and ecu for $700? You must have some serious connections. I paid over $2,000 for my JDM H22 three years ago. But then, I was pretty naive about all of this stuff.

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

Vicious

QUOTE (cahitapower @ Feb 26 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
because from what i see you can get a k swap for about 700 dollars and Im pretty sure that when hasport comes out with the mounts it wont be far much more then the b series mounts...

Frank

$700? really where from blink.gif

While k mounts would rock and i'm sure keith has them in his mind, i doubt he'll sell them once he actually starts tackling the project. Too many variables which would have to be assessed like david said ie. hood/ground clearance and such.

And as for price i'm pretty sure they'll be one of Hasports higher end kits. The B mounts are $400 right now the Ks *if made* i'd think would sell for around $500-600 due to the niche market and they'd be more of a low production item for them. Especially considering the fact that most enthusiasts wanting a swap have gone B already and dumped $3k+ on their projects and I highly doubt they'd want to yank out that 3k swap out to simply replace it with another 5k+ project.

D mounts are what i think sell fairly well considering our market. A D swap could be done as a 1k project and that meets the demands of HS kids and us cheap arse RPR members :lol

IMHO
-Marcos

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

firstgencrx

• This thing should fit!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (Vicious @ Feb 26 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
D mounts are what i think sell fairly well considering our market. A D swap could be done as a 1k project and that meets the demands of HS kids and us cheap arse RPR members :lol

IMHO
-Marcos

I wonder if Cali would let you do an OBD1 D swap. It's a later model, cleaner burning engine than the EEEEEWWW!

I bet they would be open to the idea of older cars that burn cleaner. wink.gif

My H22 CRX Project

Posted Image

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Im pretty sure hes talking about just buying a K24 Non-Vtec motor only for the $700.

Unfortunatly ive had that exact same argument with alot of people. For some reason people dont consider Mounts, Axles, Wiring, Fluid, Transmissions, ECU's, etc part of the swap for some reason. At least in the Honda community.

If thats the case i spent like $200 on my B18A1 swap.
Posted Image

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
the real question is, why did this thread get bumped from three years ago by someone arguing something OT (how easy rx7's are to work on?) in the thread?

cmon guys lets not argue with people's comments 3 years ago. i think zakats seems to have even changed his mind and wants to argue with himself too biggrin.gif
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Vicious

QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Feb 26 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
some reason people dont consider Mounts, Axles, Wiring, Fluid, Transmissions, ECU's, etc part of the swap for some reason

i've been told its more jdm to have a swap that'll never blow up laugh.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Here's one I found for cheaper then 700...how 600 sounds lol ...spoke with the guy and still has it sitting in his garage was thinking of getting it but a k24/k20 head sounds better to me..
tongue.gif

http://www.b20vtec.c...3-600-firm.html

Vicious

QUOTE (cahitapower @ Feb 26 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's one I found for cheaper then 700...how 600 sounds lol ...spoke with the guy and still has it sitting in his garage was thinking of getting it but a k24/k20 head sounds better to me..
tongue.gif

http://www.b20vtec.c...3-600-firm.html

ok that takes care of the long block and harness you're still missing:

QUOTE (DEIVIONCRX @ Feb 26 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason people dont consider Mounts, Axles, Wiring, Fluid, Transmissions, ECU's, etc

minus the wiring on there which you'll probably still have to work with a bit. Not to mention it has 70xxx miles on it so a light rebuild might be in order especially with used engines. He says its mint but open it up and you might be surprised ph34r.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

cahitapower

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Yea you still got a bit to deal with k swaps and like they say if theres a will there's a way lol...but in other cases I've seen k24 full swap for 900-1000 bucks.....

I will be going k in the near future I will be keeping track on how much it cost to do the swap so other members can estimate how much they going to spent if they planing on doing one themselfs (that's ofcorse someone beats me to it lol)...