I Just Got A Hf Crx 84 Can I Do A B18 Swap?

• You cannot reply to this topic
43 replies to this topic

jdmcraig

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx
if i get hasports b-series mounts in my car? its a HF???? will it work if its a HF? and does any other company make mounts for old crxs other then hasport cause they are fucking expensive... and is anyone selling there mounts??? smile.gif

next question... what motors are easeier to get in there? my motors carborated.. what kind of motor is it and where do i find the motor code on these Old POSs? and if i can put another motor, i heard ZC? what do i need to swap it? will it bolt to the stock mounts????

last question can i put any D-series motor in there? will it just bolt in? (i never thought id ever put a D-series motor in a car Lol)

thanks for all the help... smile.gif

Crx85338

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Crx-Si
most people on here all say d16 is the easiest and cheapest swap, i think they put out about 125 hp. i'm saving for a b16 swap myself. nippon motors has them a lot cheaper than i ever thought i'd find them. don't know about swapping from carb to fuel injected though, unless you were gonna get a carbed d16, quite a few of the folks here have them. i'm sure there's plenty of people here that'll be glad to give you some help

1g Supremacy

1) Yes, with Hasport mounts, a lot of time and money, you can put a B-series (16, 18) in a 1g CRX. But it also requires new axles, new trans, conversion from cable to hydro tranny, and probably most daunting--conversion from carb to fuel injection.

2) The D16 or browntop ZC are probably the easiest engines to swap into our cars. THe ZC is a JDM engine, came out of the 86-89 Integra. They also came carb'd in one JDM 1g Integra model. SO you can doa carb'd ZC, and not have to worry about fuel injection. It's widely said that these engines will bolt into our cars. But you also need the ZC's trans.

3) No. You can put a D15A3 in it, or a D16..but later D15A6s out of the 2g CRXs will NOT fit. SOme people have done it, but it's a major fab job.

Your best bet, with an HF, would be to do a carb'd ZC, with dual weber sidedrafts. That's insane power for an HF.

jdmcraig

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 crx
why do you have to change it from cable to hydrolic????? what if my b-series has a cable trannny? what axels do i need to get? if i put a b18a in there???? can i use any stock ones?

and also if anyone else can give there opinon on my original post that would help tooo... smile.gif thanks guys...

"the day i stop dreaming... is the day i die..."
- Soichiro Honda

1g Supremacy

Technically, if it's an older B16, you could keep the cable trans. But hell. If you're going to spend the money, why not go all out and do a Civic Type-R swap?

You need new axles, period. I believe the B-series axles are longer? They sure as hell look a lot longer then the stock 1g axles. Hasport has the axles you'd need.

You might want to ask Bryman about this, since he's done a B16 into a 1g..But I'll bet you'd want to strengthen up the suspension, too. As in, find a 1g Teg parts car and transfer the entire front suspension (And rear brakes) over to your 1g REX. This's recomended with the D16 swap..so it'd probably be essential with the B16's extra weight.

mitch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '84 CRX 1.3 B16A; '00 Honda Insight
You don't have an HF, because the model didn't start until the '85 model year.
Original owner, B16A swap in '96,Y1 tranny with OEM LSD,flywheel lightened,Eibach Pro-kit,Tokico Illuminas in rear,Koni reds front,DC header,Lightspeed strut tower brace,OPM adj. Panhard rod,Addco secondary rear anti-sway bar,custom-made 7/8"diameter,Polyurethane sway-bar bushings for front bar and Addco rear,Lightspeed 27.5" diameter torsion bars,Supertrapp SS 17" muffler,with 2.25" custom-routed piping,1G Integra rear axle beam,sway bar,front & rear brakes,2G Prelude master cylinder

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
better suspension for the extra weight of a b series motor? WTF are you talking about? the B series is lighter than the hf and dx model motors. when i set the B18B1 in my 86 hf the front sat about 1.5 inches higher than stock. ray (audiocraze?) will tell you the same also. and the hf rear drums are better than the integra rear disk's are. why the misinformation?

Edited by crxls, 26 June 2004 - 11:05 PM.

When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

boman

• BOman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Si ZC-Turbo, 1999 Honda Civic Dx
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crxls @ Jun 26 2004, 10:57 PM)
better suspension for the extra weight of a b series motor? WTF are you talking about? the B series is lighter than the hf and dx model motors. when i set the B18B1 in my 86 hf the front sat about 1.5 inches higher than stock. ray (audiocraze?) will tell you the same also. and the hf rear drums are better than the integra rear disk's are. why the misinformation?

What?

Maybe because the struts didn't settle when you first did the swap...The B motors are much larger, and heavier. I don't want to argue, but even visually with tranny the B series are HUGE compared to the little stock SOHCs in the 1G. Plus last weekend Cpiddy and I pulled the HF motor out of his new ride to replace it with the carbed ZC, there is a big difference in weight. The HF came out by hand with tranny attached.

And the drum/disk thing is purely a matter of opinion. If you're worried about weight Hf is what you want. To me disks are easier to work on and ofcoarse - bling.

JAKOB biggrin.gif
1987 Honda CRX Si 1.6 DOHC TURBO (ZC)
1999 Honda Civic Dx

Sold:
1999 Civic SiR
2002 Lexus IS300

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
i havnt weighed the motors. i would suggest a scale. but i cant see why it has to be heavier just because it is bigger in size.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

1g Supremacy

the B series is lighter than the hf and dx model motors. when i set the B18B1 in my 86 hf the front sat about 1.5 inches higher than stock.

That's bull. There's no way in hell a 1.8l DOHC engine is going to be lighter then a 1.3l SOHC engine. It just doesn't make sense. B18Bs are heavy as hell.

Bigger in size + Simillar componentes = greater mass. How could it be bigger, and lighter? That's like saying Old Man Johnnie's 90' sail boat and the Titanic displace the same amount of water.

The B16a weighs around 300-310 pounds JUST the engine. A D16 weighs like 220-230 pounds. The EW5 weighs like 180-200 pounds..Chris (Chrisandsarab) and I lifted an EW5 into the back of a raised F150..That engine didn't weight hardly anything at all.

There's no doubt. The B16 is definately heavier then an EW or D15A3. There's no way in hell it can be lighter.

Edited by 1g Supremacy, 27 June 2004 - 12:09 AM.

chrisandsarahb

• Warm It Up Chris!
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
Yah, I was amazed how light that EW5 was.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
hey, i have it in my car, thats all i know, and with lifting the motors, the ew1 was a lot harder for the same 2 people to lift than the b18 was. maybe they are made of different material. the ew1 is a 1.5 liter.

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
im calling lack of information and hearsay on this one. do the job before you tell someone else what the outcome will be.

1g Supremacy

If he's got an 84 'HF', he's got a 1.3l. We're talking about his car..or at least I was.

And they're both aluminum block..Hell, the 85 HF even had a plastic valve cover. The B16 is at LEAST 100 pounds heaveir then the heaviest EW longblock. And the B18 would be even heavier then the B16.

im calling lack of information and hearsay on this one. do the job before you tell someone else what the outcome will be.

Dude, it's common sense.

A newer, larger engine is going to weight MORE. Look at the EW and the D16/ZC. The ZC is heavier then the EW, is it not? By quite a bit, if I recall. So how would the B16 be LIGHTER then both the ZC AND the EW? That just does NOT make sense.

Edited by 1g Supremacy, 27 June 2004 - 12:27 AM.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
QUOTE (crxls @ Jun 27 2004, 05:21 AM)

you don't know what your talking about.

the ew 1.3l motor is lighter then the zc, the zc is lighter then the b16. i think you should search around a bit more. posting info when you don't know just confuses people.

search, and you will find that mostly everyone on here who has a b16 swap or b any b swap has upgraded their tortion bars.

there have been many posts on the weights of these motors. b series is definatly heavyer... what;s the hp on an hf? what's the hp on the b16 160 to 170 hp... the hf was made to be extremely fuel efficent and everywhere honda could loose some weight, they did. plastic valve cover, hell look at the pic boman posted, that exhaust mani is so tiney, look at preformance headers on a b16 b18 engines. huge difference.

alot of people converted there aluminum rear drums to heavy dx drums... that's the only advantage, with drums... they're lighter. disks are easyer to maintain and look cooler, considering the crx never got rear disks... definatly acool mod.

chris biggrin.gif
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove