Project 3gchun Li

• You cannot reply to this topic
36 replies to this topic

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 3g AE53 civic Brown Top
Hey guys, pretty excited about my 3g project and hope I can bring something new to RPR from FRD lol

Now I'm 34, worked for Mitsubishi dealers 18 years, finished up as a Master Technician and my family had alot of early Honda's as I was growin' up. My Sis had a 1g Civic then a 2g CRX, my Mom had a 1g Prelude and my Dad had a 2g Civic 1500s and then a 3g Civic GT wink.gif So I guess they are in my blood too.

I loved the 3g as a kid and now with our business getting well known for maintaining and tuning Honda's in the area my choice for a comuting companion was pretty much made for me. It had to be Retro and it had to be Honda.

My girlfriend Livy treated me to a Lil' 3g DX from eBay, an unfinished project for someone with alot of welding already done but still not quite complete. But for £100 ($200) a steal over here, I became the very proud owner of some "Sexy Back" 3g goodness.

(PIC)

Now all intensions were keep it standard and cheap to run so what I save I could spend on my son, my girlfriend, house and other cars. BUT no way was Tom gonna let that happen, not that I took much persuading. I'm a total sucker for digging about on Japanese sites for info and parts for cars and talkin' to Tom about the JDM Si's he said he was sure we could get a D16 to be more economical than the EV2 1300 and more powerful than a B-Series swap with very little work.

Now my mind had been tickin' over since I had seen a 1g Teg on eBay go for £50 complete blink.gif and pretty soon we found a hoard of doner parts. Everything but the gearbox which we soon tracked down.

So build list is lookin' like this so far:

1g Teg Brown Top and gearbox transplant
1g Teg lower arms, roll bar and brakes up front
1g Teg rear end including brakes and axle
1g Teg new handbrake cables
Japspeed D-series tubular manifold
Bike carbs on custom intake mount
FACET Red Top fuel pump and fuel regulator
14" Teg rims in powdercoat black with fronts wrapped in Toyo R888's
UK GT rear center panel for the Si look wink.gif
Rear arch repair panels

(PIC)

(PIC)

With a little help from our friends LOL, as we're snowed under trying to get a EK K20 Turbo Project and restoration of a 88 Starion finished for next month blink.gif . The 3g has already made a start with our good friend Henry removing the engine with a little guidance for me and Tom it's out and the bay will be cleaned up for my girfriend Livy to paint before the ZC is droped in.

19 days til the show on April 4th !!! Can we do it, damn sure we'll try wink.gif

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
Looks like a very nice project and in good shape. You need to fix two of your pictures as that formatting must be off somewhere. I see you are in the UK but please go to "My Controls" and put your location in as that helps a lot to know where you live when replying in threads.

I would like to know how to get a Japspeed D-series tubular manifold. I checked the Japspeed site but it only lists for a DC2 which is a 3G Integra is it not? Does it fit the browntop without any modification? If so there must be others of that ilk available to fit. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (strudel @ Mar 16 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like a very nice project and in good shape. You need to fix two of your pictures as that formatting must be off somewhere. I see you are in the UK but please go to "My Controls" and put your location in as that helps a lot to know where you live when replying in threads.

I would like to know how to get a Japspeed D-series tubular manifold. I checked the Japspeed site but it only lists for a DC2 which is a 3G Integra is it not? Does it fit the browntop without any modification? If so there must be others of that ilk available to fit. JS

Hey Strudel, I've just this minute trial fitted the manifold for you and it fits great, bolt holes a little lose on the flange but some collars on the studs would center that up just fine. Can't be 100% sure on the clearance from front crossmember just yet but should be dropping it in in a week so will post pics of that then. Don't worry about the missing pics its just to remind me to add the ones off my home PC when I get in from work. Location wise I'll sort it now. Oh and the manifold is listed as the D-Series SOHC but fits both SOHC and DOHC. We can supply them with a significant discount on the RRP too. Hope that helps you dude wink.gif

Louis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic S 1500
Hey hey another UK owner.

All looks fine and dandy.

You can find alot more info (uk forum wise) here:

hondacrx.co.uk (has section for 3g civics)
retrohonda.co.uk
and fresh off the press 3goc.co.uk

Saw that 3g on ebay myself, bit too much work for me though - good luck!

Louis

merce

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
Another 3G, in the UK, recently it feels like they are making a come-back. And rightly so!
I am from the UK too (if you hadn't already guessed)

This project looks great - can't wait to see it when its finished.

Be sure to check out www.3goc.co.uk, and as Louis alreadymentioned its a very new site!

Keep up the good work.

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
retrohonda.co.uk Is this just a 3G site or has both 1G/3G stuff? As I didn't want to register if only 3G but may do in future. JS

aan.jpg

Louis

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic S 1500
QUOTE (strudel @ Mar 17 2008, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
retrohonda.co.uk Is this just a 3G site or has both 1G/3G stuff? As I didn't want to register if only 3G but may do in future. JS

RetroHonda is for all 4 wheel Honda's from the beginning of time to 1991 ;-)

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks for the links guys, Tom on RPR added a UK section to the regional pages too. Be sure to add yourselves in there too. wink.gif

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Just an update on work done. Coppied from my posts on 3goc.co.uk

Didn't make it for the first show but customers cars come first.

Been a crazy last week but managed to fit some 3g goodness in there.

We've been tidying up the engine bay ready to drop in the brown top and with the talents of my gorgeous girlfriend Livy on hand its' really starting to take shape.

A good clean up by myself and Henry was the first step with plenty of G101 and then Panel Wipe to remove any dirt and grime.

Then after some grinding of the dubious welding repairs by the previous owners it was time for prime and paint courtesy of Livy from Paint My Ride.

Now for the "GOLD I love GOLD!"

888's arrive today so should have the 1g Teg rims wrapped for the weekend, and today it's time to tear into the back arches :twisted:

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Waiting for my girlfriend to have time to laquer it first, then dropping the engine in at latest early next week. Yeah it's the original colour, well suposed to be but we'll see how close the match is when it's done. Gonna be respraying the whole car anyway so a shade either way isn't the end of the world.

Already got the carbs and the inlet manifold is being manufactured as we speak by a company we deal with when making custom inlets wink.gif

The sump on the ZC is porous so that will have to be changed, may swap on the one from the second Brown Top I just bought yesterday which is a genuine ZC1-1

I'll keep adding more pics as things are done but its all a bit crazy at work trying to get cars finished. Keep you posted when I can.

Oh and ordered the new rad today too, when it comes it should be the same as the auto and DL shuttle which if the place I got it from have done their homework will be the full size rad like on the JDM Si biggrin.gif but fingers crossed.

Thing are still moving in the right direction 8-)

Got a call yesterday morning from Livy, "get your car ready ot be laquered, we're on our way over!"

Half an hour later LIvy and Mick from Paint My Ride arrrived at FRD the workshop floor had been swept and mopped and the car was about to be given a protecting coat of laquer under the hood tongue.gif

Mick and Livy went to work and the end result...

...3 coats deep in rich 2K laquer sealing that gold in.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

and my smile stayed for the rest of the day when my 1g Teg wheels came back from C & S tyres with the fronts wrapped in some pRoNographic TOYO hardcore 888 goodness :twisted:

Have to save up now for the rears to match, especially as we found one of the original Teg tyres was one of those french racing tyres, a Remaldi LMAO which could make the rear step out a little further than I'd like LOL.

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
We've been very busy trying to get cars ready for the show last weekend and I had to stop working on my 3g to try and get more done on the Turbo EK we're building for a customer.

I did get a few bits done earlier in the week though.

The front end needed tidying up before starting to rebuild her and drop the motor in so after a good masking off of the painted areas...

... this was the end result after Henry and I had dropped the subframe for painting and fitted the Teg ARB and front brakes with the knuckles and shocks.

Next day Henry and I cleaned up the flywheel and connected the gearbox to the engine before dropping the brown top into place...

.... with not alot of bother.

If you've read alot about these swaps you'll have heard different ways of making the mounts work. We used the Teg drivers mount both parts bolted staright on. The rear mount had the Teg rubber but the DX gearbox mount bracket which only needed one extra hole drilling to make it fit. Finally the passenger front mount, we used the original DX block mounting but the bush section, which is often cut or the cambelt cover modified, was actuallly found we could leave intact with minor modification with a large hammer. Not Ideal but far stronger than removing material or leaving a hole in the cover.

So the Brown Top is in and a new week is upon us. I'll do more with any spare time I get and I still have pics to post of the ne carbs and the manifold we have had made for them which arrived last week 8-)

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So here's an update on the Brown Top fitted and the carbs on their new manifold.

And here are pics of the mounting brackets I mentioned earlier.

The rear with the extra hole drilled to fit the Teg rubber mount.

And the original DX mount on the Brown Top block with some minor modification to the bracket.

Next thing to sort is the original sump which is pretty coroded sad.gif

So some welding to sort there, the yellow paint is where ever there are holes after wire wheeling.

More soon wink.gif

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Here is an alternative to your oil pan problem. Use a D16A6 pan. I will give you the url to read. If you try to go back to the main page it doesn't work anymore and redirects to some other weird site. I'm looking into why that's happening but no luck yet. JS
OilPan Swap
Oil pick up spacer fix

aan.jpg

Drive-By

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks man, I'll look into that, great info.

JEM MotorSports

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: me up the wall
nice build...
sweet girlfriend, you lucky bastard... LOL!!!!
not only does she support what you do, but she goes out and buyes you a civic...

any chance of having you source some EDM parts for me?

I'm searching for a few Civic parts. Both 3rd gen(AT) & 5th gen (EG) parts.
I'm a shop owner in L.A.
let me know thanks... happy.gif

Marck
[email protected]