Replacement Transmission

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

mannyg0822

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 civic 1500s
Hey rpr im fairly new to the honda scene so im in need of a little help. My trans is going out on my 85 1500s, i know its not the clutch cuz i took it to my mechanic and various other shops and they all said it was my transmission. So my question is what car has the same transmission or a direct bolt on for my engine. Im trying to look on craigslist or hit the pick ur part and pull one out but i need to know what to look for fist. I looked in the faq and online but cant seem to find anything untill i stumbled upon this awesome site just for 3rd gens! :D! Any help will be much appreciated.

NWClassicHonda

• "Leader of the pack"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 CRX Si, 87 Civic Si, 88 Integra Special
    Garage View Garage

Any Civic/CRX manual tranny 1984-1987 will bolt rite in. Check out my 1500S specific page on facebook as well and add some pics! :)

https://www.facebook...ps/31817929925/

"for all your pre-1988 Honda restoration needs 206-940-8173"

"vouch thread"
http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1

1g, 2g, 3g Civic

1g CRX

1g Integra

1g, 2g, 3g Accord

1g, 2g, 3g Prelude

cars, parts, collectibles and more!

http://www.nwclassichonda.com

mannyg0822

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1985 civic 1500s
Nice! I know its a hassle taking the trans out though isnt it? :/

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude

On these cars, nothing is a hassle.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

A lot easier on these than the later models. 

The basic change from the shop manual method is that you don't touch the axle nut or bottom half of the suspension to remove the axles. Instead you:

- release the inner axle hub from the gearbox and half shaft with a screwdriver or prybar

- undo the nut at the top of the strut,

- compress the strut and pull it down and around inside the wheel well.

- the axles come out of the gearbox and half shaft, (and you support them rather than let them hang)

Take the wheel off and visualise the process to see what this means.

This method saves a whole lot of grief with getting axle nuts and knuckles off the car, and you don't need to realign the steering afterwards.

You should manage the swap in a day first time up.  if you are experienced and good it's a couple of hours.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Yeah, it's pretty easy and if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding your tranny yourself, and don't particularly like the idea of using a used tranny, the EW tranny is still available from JDM suppliers last time I checked. I believe they wanted in the neighborhood of $250 to $300.

millcreek

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 94 Samurai, 91 Samurai , 2002 Odyssey, , 2000 CRV , 97 F250, and all shop junk

Nice! I know its a hassle taking the trans out though isnt it? :/

not to bragg but back in the day at the dealership I could do a clutch in a 1st gen CRX in less than 1 hour.
Last month I did a 08 Acura type S... 6 speed.....oh my what a pain.....it was on my lift for two days.....when I was doing it I was thinking about the good old Honda's from the 80's. I miss those days :-)

hebrewjew

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX HF

Yeah, it's pretty easy and if you don't feel comfortable rebuilding your tranny yourself, and don't particularly like the idea of using a used tranny, the EW tranny is still available from JDM suppliers last time I checked. I believe they wanted in the neighborhood of $250 to $300.

I'd really like to know where! Do you have any links?