I'll Just Drop These Here (Houseman / Mugen Build)

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si 2002 Audi S6 1997 4runner 2003 Audi A6 6MT BiTurbo 1991 Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

After only 10 years, my CR-X project is officially 50% complete. :ph34r:   The car is an '86 Si with Houseman kit, Heeltoe hood and spoiler (not yet on the car).  Color is Honda NH-537M Pewter Gray (offered 1990+).  I should have it on the road by ~April 2016 considering it'll be 30...then two more years to wait for collector plates.

IMG_20150926_085654829_zpswtpjadra.jpg

IMG_1948_zpslbs17hjx.jpg

IMG_1947_zpsf6mzgokm.jpg

IMG_1953_zpsnojaggyu.jpg

WANTED - See my posts in the WTB section

The old long term build which I can no longer edit since my original account broke a few years back.

Vicious

Man I've been waiting for updates for like years now lol glad it's coming along slow and steady leads to a great build. Didn't you have it gel coated black at one point?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si 2002 Audi S6 1997 4runner 2003 Audi A6 6MT BiTurbo 1991 Civic Si
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Man I've been waiting for updates for like years now lol glad it's coming along slow and steady leads to a great build. Didn't you have it gel coated black at one point?

Ha ha...years, that makes 2 of us!  If it weren't for things like family, career, money, time...

Hopefully it ends up in the great build category...sad that so many parts are unavailable, and now becoming non-salvageable as well.  I've got a short list of pieces I'd like to replace with better condition equivalents.

You've got a pretty good memory Vicious!  Yes, the FG parts were all delivered in black gel coat.  At the time, I thought I'd naturally be painting it black again and with the amount of gravel CO state puts on the roads in the winter, there's always a pretty good chance the front of any car is going to get the paint chipped off bit by bit any time of the year.  With 2 black cars still in the fleet here, I decided I didn't want another.

The old long term build which I can no longer edit since my original account broke a few years back.

Vicious

Yea those stupid things like family, career, money, and time lol

My project got put on hold for four years since I moved up to Maryland (for family, career, money) but I'm glad I'm moving back to Florida this coming weekend to be able to pull the crx out of storage. It'll be a slow build just to get her road worthy again but we'll both get the projects done

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

838heu

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX 1982 Prelude 2005 Crossfire 1973 Ranchero

Sweet looking Rex!  I was just wondering if you would happen to remember how much that Houseman kit cost you? I've already spent waaaay more money than i expected to spend on my rex all thanks to Vicious. lol. I might as well go all the way. haha

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Sweet looking Rex!  I was just wondering if you would happen to remember how much that Houseman kit cost you? I've already spent waaaay more money than i expected to spend on my rex all thanks to Vicious. lol. I might as well go all the way. haha

Thanks, I too have spent plenty just getting it this far!  I got one of the first Houseman kits back in 2004 along with GTpilot who occasionally posts here so we got a special deal....probably helps that GTpilot and Mr. Houseman were racing buddies as well.  I just happened to be at the SCCA runoffs the year that Houseman obtained the original Mugen kit that his molds were made from.  I snapped these pictures:

aaa_zpshd3dqyea.jpg

aad_zpsdmazdnrl.jpg

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

looking Awesome TJ. I like how you filled in the molding around the car. B)

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Thanks Aren D!

Made a little assembly progress today...

IMG_20150930_124322896_HDR_zps7sew3dat.j

griffo20022

Damn that's beautiful!

GrafKröte

• & the browntop-hatch
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic; '87 Honda Prelude 2.0Si; '86 Honda Civic Shuttle; '92 Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi
    Garage View Garage

Absolutly sexy! :)

Posted Image

838heu

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX 1982 Prelude 2005 Crossfire 1973 Ranchero

Thanks, I too have spent plenty just getting it this far!  I got one of the first Houseman kits back in 2004 along with GTpilot who occasionally posts here so we got a special deal....probably helps that GTpilot and Mr. Houseman were racing buddies as well.  I just happened to be at the SCCA runoffs the year that Houseman obtained the original Mugen kit that his molds were made from.  I snapped these pictures:

Those pictures are just wow.. You sure are one lucky guy. haha, I want a kit really badly now. The body plastics on my car were in perfect condition until about 3 days ago. The driver side skirt cracked as I was rubbing off some mud :(

billboard

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

fudge. only I didnt say fudge.

Proud owner of 1987 Civic Wagon

OG-TJ

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Probably due for an update...

Reassembly has been tedious and therefore slow because everything that goes back on must be the best it can be - clean, well adjusted, and ideally not broken.  Not exactly easy when 30 year old parts now have to live up to near-new appearances.  It should go without mention how difficult it is to find good parts for these cars, but because it is difficult, I mention it.

I haven't taken pictures of  e v e r y t h i n g  but probably the easiest way for me to share is via Google photos because, well, Google.  Not ideal that links are shared rather than the actual photo, but whatever, take a look

https://goo.gl/photo...tViN2doVxkDris7

This is the album I've thrown all my CRX photos since 1993.  Notice there are not a whole lot from the early days...

Yes, I bought this car from a salvage yard and saved it from the crusher...

Assembly highlights since getting the car home from the painter include:

• Install Fuel door (no, the Mugen kit does not have one but mine does - kustom)

• New taillight gasket fabrication / install / adjust 

• Door / window re-assembly

• Moonroof re-assembly / install

• CAD and 3d print a quarter window trim insert because one of mine broke

• Fit hatch/wing

• Adapt rear license plate brackets to fit rear bumper

• Mirror re-assembly

• Quarter window trim re-furbish

• Kustom front bumper grille / radiator cooling shroud

• 84-85 headlight retrofit 

• Front clip / hood / fenderliner fit

• Kustom rear suspension spring hats for all these 2.5" springs I have (5kg's are stiff and I am getting old)

A couple image highlights for the non-reader:

IMG_20151009_191002158_zpsikmpvlca.jpg

IMG_1985_zpsgbfkmd48.jpg

billboard

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
So after looking at all the photos! Stellar work!! I love it.... If I could just ask you one question?---- why did you change the shape of the gas door? From square to circular? It is the only thing that is weird to me, because the CRX is squarish, with squarish lines and the circular gas door seems out of place to me... Again just my opinion and im sure you have your reasons why you did so... Just curious.

also the suspension set up. The rear top hats, can we get more info on those??

billboard

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
O wait I think I may be retarded. Did the wide body kit come with a circular gas door hole? This is madness. Get Mugen on the phone in 1984 and tell them to stop playing games with their circular gas door hole.