87 Project Car Underway 56k Be Warned

• You cannot reply to this topic
439 replies to this topic

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
hey guys im new here. bought this car outta proctersville ohio for 175 bucks.
185,00 miles on it the car had cracks and everything in it.. it looked on but ive done a lotta work to it on the days it was warm. heres the car when i went to go look at it.

laugh.gif the emblem is upside down

when i got er back home to ky

u can see the cracks i nthe front piece and also the dent along the side of the car very faintly..

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
then i started stripping the car on the warm days, the front bumper came off the front piece came off.. i first shaved my antenna..they was a dent there anyways ooo ahh what the heck..

here it is finished..

took the back bumper off..damn its amazing it just didnt FALL OFF after all that rust..

cut my muffler off and getti nready to put my new apexi N1 on..

umm lets see..
started repairing the back wheel well..grinded all the rust out.. then put naveljelly on it and glassed overtop of it..

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
then heres where i stand right now BIG IMPROVEMENT from all the rust..

got me new plugs.. NGK.. they prolly hadnt been changed since 87.

shaved a line in my fenders..

filled the cracks and holes with a 23 dolalr epoxy from a local auto body repair shop..
cant tell they were even there...

heres where im at at them right now..

ALSO with the front piece i filled the front airholes on it... to make it look more like an 88.. mm..in a way lol..
heres before..

AFTER....

i fiberglassed it so i wouldnt waste so much filler and to also keep it from racking out on me..

heres where i am right now on it. ive been working aint had time to sand it.

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the last few pics of the engine..ive just redone the battery terminals,new 8 gauge wire to the starter..new ground wire ran..just the small stuff... PLUS IM ALSO MAKING MY OWN cold air intake for this car... anything is better then that big round air filter can sittin on top of that carb..
had me a piece of pipe bent to match the 87 air intake and had it powder coated grey, and im having to make my own piece to sit on top of the car outta 3 inch thinwall pvc. i had to cut it here and there to get it fit under the hood. yadda yadda.. heres what it looks like AND I KNOW i t needs to be sanded but this really does work..

painted my valve cover.. to and redone my ground wire to the cover.

and right heres the last pic of how the car looks like sittin up there..

ive had this car since febuary. on the days its warm ill piddle around on the body work ive pretty much got the drivers side done except for the back wheel well and a lil knick knacks here and there. when its cold i work in the building on my fenders and my front piece. and then when its a lil cool out i just do lil stuff to the engine.
ive got tons of new parts coming for this car if the ywould just hurry up and get here...i got new blue plug wires.. and i got 88 black projectors with black corners, im prolyl goin to have to fabricate in.. lol my job for this car is to ATLEAST get it lookin like an 88.. i got my muffler just not welded on yet. i got the APEXI N1.. it was like 30 bucks. i changed the oil in the car and it was BLACK... then i got to lookin on the car and it said your next due date for an oil change was sometime in january of 93... SOOOOOoooooo lol... but yeh if u all want me to ill keep u updated and posting project pics as i go along f not just tell me.. ALSO I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING is it goin to be a challenge u think of making them 88-91 projector headlights and black corners fit on my 87.. has anyone ever made a bracket or anything to do it with. i just know this WHOLE project wil ltake a lil while to complete. LATER GUYS.. leave me feedback tell me what u think and help me out with my headlight question

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Wow, you are talented with 'glass and filler.

My first thought at the first picture was that this was a case of a young guy who has gotten himeslf in too deep with a basket-case car, but you obviously have the skills to bring this one back from the dead.

I love your CAI. Nice work! I bet there are a lot of carb'ed people out there who would pay for something like that.

Get under the car and check the panhard bar mount for rust. I bet it needs some help.

Keep up the good work.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Projector, I used the search, Its a concept I am curious of myself. Linky
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
good luck with your project, keep it up.

also 88-9 headlight wont fit ... but I bet you could modify it too if you realllllly felt like it. *not recomened

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
im havin trouble like theres SO MUCH i wanna know about this car i dont... i mean i dont know hardly anything bout engines heck i didnt even know what a distributer cap was when i started on this thing.. i jsut knew u know how to change oil a tire or whatever if it needed or when it needed to be done.
my question for u all is..
what kinda engine LOOKING AT IT from my pics do i have sittin in it right now? is it a d16 or whatever see i dunno know that stuff..
and i mean another thing is.. i need an alternator.. but when i go down there... to order one they say to me nippendenso or mitsubishi and im like all i jknw its it s 1.5L carbed lol and i mean i need to know to get it changed.. im changing every thing in the car lie new wires or whatever but i mso afraid to go about pulling wires they wont get back to there original spots.. i mean i relaly am a nervous nelly when it comes to this stuff the car runs right now it just wont keep charge it needs an alternator. but anyways my other questions are liek i got to lookin on jegs.com or summitracing and they offer a hedman header for an 87 model CRX but i got to lookin at it said Si model and im like mm u know id love to have that but im afriad to get it if it dont line up or something. and i got to looin on ebay found me a 35 dollar alternator but it said it was for the Si model WOULD that alternator had worked for my model.. see i dunno if i own an DX or HF.. i cant tell.. im not really all that good I SOUND LIEK A LIL PANSY who doesnt know WTF is goin on but i really would love to find out.. i didnt get that manul with my car

88-91 projectors headlights wont fit a 87..its to late anyways ive done ordered them ill HAVE to make em fit on there with a bracket of some kind. why wont they recess back into the front all that well or something? but yeh if someone could help me out with this.. id GREATLY appreciate it..

crazi-85crx

it's a DX with an EW2 (or 3) engine. as for the nipo or mitsu, it might say somewhere on the alt... same thing goes for the radiator.

EDIT: here's a pic of '88 lights. if you compare them to yours you'll notice some very obvious shape differences. and they mount VERY VERY differently too.

you may want to consider returning them if you can; or try and resell them to someone with an '88... like me, if they're cheap enough biggrin.gif.

Edited by crazi-85crx, 19 March 2006 - 09:00 AM.

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (david21ky @ Mar 7 2006, 09:47 PM)
what kinda engine LOOKING AT IT from my pics do i have sittin in it right now? is it a d16

Every motor has its motor code stamped on the block, just look on the front of the block where the transmission meets the bolck and some where in the front there will be a flat space with a stamped engine number and engine code, it will say ew-3 more than likely.

i need an alternator.. but when i go down there... to order one they say to me nippendenso or mitsubishi and im like all i jknw its it s 1.5L carbed lol and i mean i need to know to get it changed..

Those are just the brand of altenator just get the cheeper one.

jegs.com or summitracing and they offer a hedman header for an 87 model CRX but i got to lookin at it said Si model and im like mm u know id love to have that but im afriad to get it if it dont line up or something.

if its for a 85-87 si then it will bolt on to any 84-87 crx however the si has a diffent shaped oil pan and the header will mostlikley hit any non si oil pan like yours, but you can find a si oil pan for cheep and then install the oil pan (and si oil pickup) and then run the header on your car with no problem.

and i got to looin on ebay found me a 35 dollar alternator but it said it was for the Si model WOULD that alternator had worked for my model..

I could be wrong but no, the si alt will not work with on the dx or hf modle.

see i dunno if i own an DX or HF....

an easy way to tell is HF's have a up-shift light in the dash, a arrow lights up when you are driving to tell you to shift, if you dont have one, its probly not an hf.

i didnt get that manul with my car

You can get clinton manuals at auto zone or shucks/kragen

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Nice work. I think this april I'm going to take the time to learn how to do glass and filler work properly.

When I put my engine back together I'll be driving my crx with an awesome new powertrain but a scratched up body with bondo.

Reminds me, while I had bondo on my bumpers (smoothing them out from dents) people stopped tailgating me real fast.

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
yo yo yo guys... been working hard on them fenders.. but u cant rush the drying process of bondo unlessu burn it up y adding alotta hardener but why do that.. anyways heres ya some new pics from tonight on what i done.. BY THE WAY... im ALMOST done with that front piece. it looks good or well lets put it this way ITS GOING TO LOOK GOOD.. or atleast turn out better then what i thought it would. anyways on with the pics..
first off some new goodies..

now onto the work.. ran into some trouble but you can see for yourself i pretty much saved myself sheww weee lol

see my idea didnt turn out half bad lookin..

its still needs to be filled and mor tender loving car taken to it
epoxy..

hld on let me make a new post for my fenders.. cant upload to many pics on one thing.

david21ky

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

there ya go... its coming along.. OH BY THE WAY.. if theres a place on here to host tutorials i will.. or ill jsut post a new message on the board if u all want me to ill leave ya my fiberglassing tutorials i wrote one time for a mask making web-site.. thats what got me into fiberglassing..i love makig liek movie prop replicas to i belive i will post that to help u all out..
if ya need it..
LATERRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr guys tell me what u think to

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yes a tutorial in the technical section would be great.

J<---------------really wants to know more about bondoing and fiberglassing.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

rextec

• coming along.......
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si, 98 civic dx hb
    • Image Gallery
your a hard worker! dont you think the bondo is going to crack from layering it on so thick????? it wasnt meant to be used to fill 1/2 inch thick molding channels in flexible plastic fenders. you have heart though.