3g Civic Build

• You cannot reply to this topic
155 replies to this topic

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 04 S&M Black Bike, 03 Redline Proline Pro Big Block, 93 Auburn CR20RX, 84 Honda Civic 1500S
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
some more free time...some more build progress to post...

roll cage time...

back when I was ordering big parts I had called up Kirk Racing and had ordered the Deluxe cage kit w/ optional dash bar suitable for SCCA ITC specs...thought it would be just like the ones pictured on their site with 2 door bars left and right...so the cage showed up unload it off the truck...unwrap it...I start layin out pieces and find I'm missing the upper door bars and riser supports...call them up, what's up?...second door bars and risers, another 100 bucks or so, on top of the $575 plus $60 truck frieght...

ok...deep breath...can still make this work...

test fit the main hoop...

to wide to fit center on the b-posts...the forward supports were almost long enough (even if the main hoop was behind the b-posts) to go past the firewall...

more deep breaths...I can make this work...

when I look at the invoice...says it is for a BMW!!...call them up, not for a BMW, just misslabled...forward supports to long, cut your dash, SCCA will allow it...

hyperventalateing...I WILL MAKE IT WORK!!!

set the cage to the side and did all of the rust removal and body work...all the while debating on what exactly I was going to do with this project now...had too much invested in the cage to not use it...the main hoop really is top notch...the welds are very nice...and I knew I could get it in there...

I began debating the ITC idea...it is 9 hours to Atlanta...6 to the course south of Charlotte...5-6 to Richmond...ITC was starting to look just as expensive just in gas to haul to an eventas if I were running a Trans Am car and lived at the track...

in 04 the NC Region held 2 or 3 auto-x events at the local mall...my boss at the time wanted a display vehicle for the car audio shop...and I wanted a quick and fun toy to drive around and show the ricers what real performance is...

triple duty?? streetable, race-able, showable...could it be done...could it be done in one car...with full interior...big-time sound system...and clean enough to take to national shows???????????????????

big questions to ask someone that had just finalized the build budget for the car and just scrapped the original build plan....

Edited by blacksheep, 22 December 2005 - 02:23 PM.

bah bah blacksheep, do you have any wool? NO!

just build it
blacksheep gallery

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 04 S&M Black Bike, 03 Redline Proline Pro Big Block, 93 Auburn CR20RX, 84 Honda Civic 1500S
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you likey when I have free time don't you?!

anyways...so now I have this new project with the old project car...

full interior...and a 6 point cage...how is this done you ask...lemme show ya...

first, put the important interior panels back in...

then the main hoop and rear supports...

the rear supports bars should be right over the frame rail under the floor board here...in the pictures shown they are just outside of that rail...

next, the forward supports...I cut the forward tubes shorter so that I wouldn't be cutting the dash...as a result I also had to cut the door bars shorter...(still say this was for a BMW and mis-shipped to me)

then the windshield bar (top) and dash bar (lower)...note the upward angle of the windshield bar...Kirk Racing pre notched all of the bars...that is how it fit with no mods from me...cool thing about it, I get to use the oe rear view mirror!!...

check out the clearance of the door bars to the window regulator and the handle pad!!!

even with the door shut...

I told ya'll I could make it work...so after all of the bars were secured with tape and screwed to the floor with small self tappers...I had to be able to remove all of the interior panels (except the dash) with the full cage in there...no problems...

Edited by blacksheep, 22 December 2005 - 02:26 PM.

just build it
blacksheep gallery

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
one more part of the new plan...

this is the bottom frame of the rear seat...I knew I kept it for a reason...without giving away the secrets...just remember you will see it later in the build (fabrication fun lessons)...

gotta go...24hrs @ Daytona is on Speed Channel...

Edited by blacksheep, 22 December 2005 - 02:27 PM.

just build it
blacksheep gallery

JDN14

i need to check the civic section of the site more often.

It's stuff like this that inspires me.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I just saw this now.... I wish I had a garage to do this too!

One thing of note, I don't think your car is a 1500s, and I also don't think its an 84!

I don't know the history, but you have the 86-87 front clip (bumpers, fenders, corners, header panel) You also don't have a sunroof (something all 1500S/Si's have)

Counterpointed, you have the full red tails, but that is only on 86-87 CDM 1500S's, or 86-87 USDM Si's.

Looks to me like you got a frankenkah, and should check the vin to see what it REALLY is.

Either way, the good news is that you don't have a sunroof, so it looks like you have the lighter of chassissssss (not sure how to pluralize it... better safe than sorry tongue.gif)

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
here is the history on the vehicle before I purchased it...

Screech's entry into my guestbook

which would also explain alot of the crappy bodywork I found on the rear of the car!!

I will do a check on the VIN and post it up here....

Edited by blacksheep, 30 June 2005 - 10:47 PM.

just build it
blacksheep gallery

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Weeeee!! Ok that yelllow paint job, as crappy as it was, was not a rattle can. I worked with the person I bought the car from. I remember him having another co-worker paint the car. The guy that painted it use his paint guns and stuff, but I don't think his equipment it was well maintained or the job he did that good. He is also the one that removed and filled the holes from the side trim. I don't recall I roof rack. I can alway ask Chris, person I bought it from, if it has one when he got the car.

Car is an 84, pretty sure its a 1500s. Were the 1500s' in 84 equipted with sun roofs in US?

Parts from that car that are on my 86 Si now: header panel, headlights, corner lights, headlight trim, tail lights and center panel, plastic wing and hinge covers.

Parts from my 86 Si on that car when sold: Header panel, headlights, corner lights, tail lights and center panel, shift knob (I kept the 1 ball), metal wing and hinge covers.

Some days I think about putting the Si back stock, but I don't know that I could get use to the headlights.

here is the only pic I have of the car after I swapped the parts.
Posted Image

After I sold the car I lost contact with Tom. But, glad to see what he has done with her. She went where she needed to go. I had my doubts when I saw that he cut a hole in the hood because of the cable.

Tom, you need to work on my Sis rust next :)

Posted Image

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Screech @ Jul 1 2005, 01:38 AM)

look at that front bumper sag!!!

that was biggest reason I swapped it out for the 86 DX (other than it was free)...the thin 84 bumper under the skin was rusted almost completely through...and the mounting points just below the fenders were trash also...the rear bumper was bad too...it was fixable though...I have found a true 84 1500S that I will get the front bumper and skin from, maybe the header panel and headlight assemblies too...just so I have them to go back to original if I decide to...

don't get me wrong I do like the look of the 84's...but the 85-87 have the areodynamic edge over them...and the light bulbs are more easily swapped...

oh yeah...at this point in the build thread, I have approximately 170 hours...and that was back in febuary...then she sat untouched till the beginning of this month...Screech has an advantage over other members...he's already seen about 25 hours ahead of this thread...soon it will be caught up...also need to get a new digi cam...any suggestions in the $150-$200 range?

just build it
blacksheep gallery

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
DGX or DXG 3 megapixel camera availible for $130 @ Radio shack It takes good pics in good light.

If you change out the header panel I want that one. I currently have a steel blue one and I would like to have a white one again.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 1 2005, 02:31 AM)
DGX or DXG 3 megapixel camera availible for $130 @ Radio shack It takes good pics in good light.

If you change out the header panel I want that one.  I currently have a steel blue one and I would like to have a white one again.

sorry man...not white any more...but it is perfectly smooth...and ready to spray... biggrin.gif

just build it
blacksheep gallery

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
How much would you be looking to get for it?
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jul 1 2005, 02:49 AM)
How much would you be looking to get for it?

I can pull one from the salvage yard for you...think they run $50...then shipping to TX would be like $20 to $30...somewhere in there...

just build it
blacksheep gallery

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ouch! huh.gif Not at this time, but I will keep you in mind.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If you ever decide to get rid of any of the Si parts on there I'd like first shot at them since they were from my car...

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

blacksheep

• bah bah blacksheep
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Rampage @ Jun 30 2005, 11:28 PM)
I just saw this now.... I wish I had a garage to do this too!

One thing of note, I don't think your car is a 1500s, and I also don't think its an 84!

I don't know the history, but you have the 86-87 front clip (bumpers, fenders, corners, header panel)  You also don't have a sunroof (something all 1500S/Si's have) 

Counterpointed, you have the full red tails, but that is only on 86-87 CDM 1500S's, or 86-87 USDM Si's.

Looks to me like you got a frankenkah, and should check the vin to see what it REALLY is. 

Either way, the good news is that you don't have a sunroof, so it looks like you have the lighter of chassissssss (not sure how to pluralize it... better safe than sorry tongue.gif)

Cheers,
Mark

so here it what I found on the VIN

JHMAH533XES******

1. Japan Made (where made)
2. Honda (manufacturer)
3. Passenger car, Built in Japan (type of vehicle)
4-5. Civic 1500 3 door (model line)
6. 5spd. manual (transmission)
7. 3 door Hatchback Manual (body type)
8. GL, GLS, LX (trim level) 3 sites say the same here????
9. VIN Validation (was checked at plant to be good)
10. 1984 (year built)
11. Assembly plant code
12-17. Serial numbers

other than being questionable on the 8th digit, she is an 84 1500 HB...not sure on the S part though...

the interior has all of the S model stuff...map pockets in the doors, center console, rear speakers in the back seat cubbies, and the passenger side mirror...I believe that it is an S model...with 86 Si header panel, and headlights...

just build it
blacksheep gallery