Let's Hope This Works Out

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
I've been looking for a CRX since before joining this board, specifically a white 86 Si (I don't do carburetors). Almost bought one on the other side of the country but it fell thru. A couple others came up but I didn't have the money, then when I had money the ones that came up were rust buckets. Craiggers was my search engine of choice since it searched the whole country, but it was taken down because CL decided that it's listings were proprietary. CL has since dropped that claim but Craiggers hasn't been back.

Anyway, I haven't been searching too hard lately since Craiggers went down. The stars aligned and I happened to find one when I have money, and it's close by. The guy is supposed to send me more pics so I haven't checked it out yet. Told him to send pics of the rear wheel arches and the lower plastics specifically. I think he's asking a bit much so I'll have to put my own eyes on it before I decide. I figure I'll at least use the pics to decide if it is worth taking the trip to see it.

I don't remember, did the Si have a front lip?

I'm excited, the ad looks good, this is the pic from the listing:
Posted Image

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The pics I asked for came today, it isn't as good as the pic above. Still no pics of the interior, but it may still be worth a look-see. I know that replacement arches are rare as hens teeth, but can these be rehabbed with bodywork? Do ya'll think this rust is repairable for not that much money?

I was wanting one with engine/electrical problems but with a good body. I can fix the mechanical and electrical stuff but I'm not a body man. On the plus side, the front fenders and header panel look intact. I think his asking price is a bit high, what do you think this car is worth?

Onto the pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kess

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: RPR member #40. 1987 CRX Si, 1988 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si/JRSC
Whats with the X'd out headlights? This guy some kind of uninformed rarer wannabe? Those rear arches look nasty, but it seems that most body shops can get replacement quarters. You might want to start sourcing them there. How much money do you concider too much? Best to go and price some new cars and then put CRX prices into perspective. They are cheap for the bang you get. Its just that with CRX prices so low it makes everything else seem expensive. I paid 80% of the price of my '87 to have it shipped - almost doubled the price of the car. It was still a great deal. I'd get more pictures of this car before tripping the trigger, and if you can see it in person then all the better. Remember: once someone else buys it it is gone forever...
When the Student is ready the Teacher appears...

eec4tuner

• I hunt pineapples...
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88crx si (B16A1swap) 85crx si (D16a1swap) 90 ford mustang coupe (347 stroker 6 speed) 2000 Honda RC51 (full Ohlins suspension,MoriwakiExh.)
I beleive Si's came with a front lip.

Edited by eec4tuner, 31 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Whats with the X'd out headlights? This guy some kind of uninformed rarer wannabe? Those rear arches look nasty, but it seems that most body shops can get replacement quarters. You might want to start sourcing them there. How much money do you concider too much? Best to go and price some new cars and then put CRX prices into perspective. They are cheap for the bang you get. Its just that with CRX prices so low it makes everything else seem expensive. I paid 80% of the price of my '87 to have it shipped - almost doubled the price of the car. It was still a great deal. I'd get more pictures of this car before tripping the trigger, and if you can see it in person then all the better. Remember: once someone else buys it it is gone forever...

LOL I was wondering about those lights too. When I say that his asking price is high, I am comparing it to the other 1986 CRX Sis that I have looked at (online) for the last few years. The one that was on the opposite side of the country was a "restored" example where every single item was either painted, cleaned, replaced, or refurbed by a member of this board. That deal fell thru the seller, he sold it out from under me while I was figuring out the logistics of getting it here. It's OK since I didn't get a good feeling from the seller. I learned more about the car from this forum than I got from the seller. It was only $1000 more than what this guy is asking.

For some reason first gen CRXs aren't nearly as desirable as second gen cars, yet I was lucky and found a minty unmolested 91 Si for (only) $1500. First gens are older, but they don't command nearly the same prices as a second gen. I like them, but they don't seem to get the love.

My 91:
Posted Image

E-Man

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 2004 Subaru FXT
The '91 Si looks very clean and great value for the money you spent.

If the '86 isn't too far away, I'd suggest taking the trip and viewing the car. Pictures in general don't show the flaws, whether it be door dings, paint chips or perhaps accidents.

I've purchased our CRX's three different ways: (1) Viewed red CRX and parts car myself; (2) Had a local RPR member check out J-Man's black crx; (3) viewed what seemed to be 100+ pictures and videos of white CRX and had many detailed emails with a RPR seller.

When I looked at the first picture and read your question on the air dam, my first thought was front end accident but that's the pessimistic side of me. After seeing the different the car is in the second set of pictures one has to question the true condition of the car. Here's some quick observations/thoughts

Pic 1&2 - Interesting paint job on phone dials, must be a younger driver. I wonder what the underside really looks like and would ask for detailed pictures of the panhard bar mount, suspension, fuel tank, exhaust and spare tire cubby
Pic 3 - Filler panel is also rusting, center panel mount broken or just loose?
Pic 4 - I don't like how close left front edge of hood sits when looking at gap to fender

Send me a PM and we can discuss more off line.

Elliot
Posted Image

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well, it didn't work out. Went to look at the car and it was a lot rougher than I had expected. The rear wheel wells were worse than I thought. It looks like the inner structure was cut to make clearance for bigger tires. I don't know how water didn't get inside when driving in the rain. It probably did, but I didn't look much further. I didn't even bother looking under the hood or driving it.