My new crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
Well i picked up my cherry 1984 CRX 1300 last week.  It only has 73,000 miles on it.  It is flawless except for a little bump on the tailgate, no big deal.  Wanted to know your opinons on performce for the little 1.3 litter.  I want to keep the gas milage up, but add a little more pep, if possible.

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
i would pop some header one there.. you might find some on ebay for like 100 bucks... they are awsome... and then also upgrade the muffler... thats what i would start with... oh and also you can by a preformance coil... don't know how much you will gain exactly but that would be a nice set up for a strong motor...

if you are going hard core. then there are alot of people that use the 1.3 engine block and put si 1.5 or just 1.5 l heads on the block. agaiin not sure of numbers but you get the idea.

chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
It has 1.5 pipes on it already.  When my boss ordered a new muffler set from honda, the other guy i work w/ order the wrong set.  But it bolted right up.  So i have about 1/2" larger pipe all the way back.  I like the header idea, i just don't want that "fart Can" exhuast sound.  but maybe w/ the larger pipes and headers it wouldn't sound to bad.

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
follow up question....will headers for a 1.5 fit the 1.3.  I imagine they will, cause i think its just a different bore stroke, but i duno.

Gasoline Fumes

The 1.5 headers should fit. Weight reduction would help. Might want to try the 1.5 liter HF head, it has roller rockers.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Weight reduction??? The car weighs 1713 lbs stock!

Is the car a Canadian or US model?

If you don't want to get into serious molesting of the motor, you can just bolt on a Weber carb, and get a header and cam to spice things up a bit.

Adding an Si tranny will also improve acceleration.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
the car is a US model.  i was thinking about just adding some headers, and a high flow cat(since the stock one would no longer fit) and calling it quits.  But then the guys at work (honda dealership) told me about a 4 carb setup, and the gears started turning in my head.  

What do you think of this plan, keeping in mind gas milage is more important than power.  keep the 1.3 block, bolt on 1.5 SI/hf?? head w/ roller rockers, add the 4 carb manifold, headers, high flow cat.   I was looking at the pics of the fuel tubing on the computer, and it looks pretty intimidating. so if anyone has done this before and has tips, it would be very helpful.

For suspension get a good set of shocks (any suggestions??), bigger sway bar (add imput here) maybe new torrsion bars, do the big brake swap from 86-89 acura with braided lines.

Any other suggestions would be great, i'm trying to keep the cost down.  I looked at that $2100 body kit...........man does that look sweet!!!

Gasoline Fumes

If you care about gas mileage you probably want to stick with the stock carb and either the stock or HF head. A K&N filter might help a little too.

87CRXSiR

• But It's A Dry Heat
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
84_1300

New torsion bars

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....03&rd=1
DM
PHX, AZ

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dual sidedrafts make the power, but mileage will suffer. Plus they are quite expensive.

My setup: http://www.redpepper...ery/album03/aar
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
what kind of manifold is that? and where can i get one?  Ballpark figure, how much did the new manifold and carbs cost?

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Just a note that if you put a 1500cc exhaust manufold on to a 1300cc engine you must change the oil pan and the oil pick up
The 1500cc exhaust manifold has way better flow than the 1300 single down pipe and can be found in many junk yards.

Doodson

83Rabbit

• White Rice
  • PipPip
IMO if your trying to keep the cost down yet still do better over stock, take a hike to the junkyards, pick up front and rear integra disks (junk yards should charge you maybe 75$ for everything) right there youve got a weekend project on your hands and a difference that will be noticable over the stock setup. next, drop in a K+N, 35$ wont make or break the modding budget. i would (and this is what I am doing) worry more about suspension than go fast mods... i mean if you have a fast car but it handles like crap, theres no point in it really, go out and buy a new mustang or something... so id say grab some tokico adj which are reasonably priced and some used T bars/springs and youll be set for another weekend project... see where that gets you and how you like it and what youd want different and go from there
1986 Grabber Blue CRX Si: K&N Filter, koni reds, air/fuel guage, msd blaster ss, ss lines, teg front/rear brakes.

"If anyone on this board ever installs one of those things, and I hear about it, I will ban them for life. " - rpr

84_1300

• Granny
  • Pip
what car should i pull the the t-bars and springs from?? and which would be the best year/make to tweak down a little bit, i.e lower.
well come to find out, i don't have a cat on my crx...........the cvcc head takes care of all the emmisions work, so now i think i'm gona leave the head alone, and just throw some headers (shouldn't have to change oil pan for that right???) and possibily a carb and manifold from a 1.5.

86crxsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
the only header i know of that they make is for the si. and if you want a header and don't have an si then you have to use an si oil pan to clear the header. as for you not having a cat, cause you got cvcc head....................???  thats a new one to me.