• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 Civic Hatch D16A3
Hey guys,

Well heres my situation. D16A3 (brown top teg) Got it rebuild a few months ago and still find that it burns oil!! So i took it back to the builder and told him to fix it!! I picked it up yesterday and he said that the PVC hose was crimped, allowing the engine to build up pressure and leak past the valves. Thats all well and good. So i paid him the money and guess what, it still burns oil!! He has also checked the valves (took camshafts off and pushed each one down individually) and he said that they were ok. He doesn't beileve that it's rings. There is only blow by when you back off and then accelerate. He cleaned the PVC valve and said that it still works. My thoughts is that it still has some sought of a breathing problem! I'm going to search all the posts etc from here, 1gteg and dohczc but if i can't fix it myself i'll have to sell it!!!! sad.gif

The mechanic is a pain in the arse and is refusing to own up. I know more about the engine than he does, so....i'm not impressed

Remember, this engine has had a full rebuild with only 320kms on the clock

I need your help before i give up!!! Starting to loose faith in good ole honda reliability

DarkHand

Have you done a compression and leakdown test? Are you breaking in the motor properly? I'm partial to motoman's method.
DarkHand

Northlandhonda

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Break her in hard!

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
valve guide seals maybe??? thats about the only thing i can think of.....

sean

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Valves have been checked. Haven't done compression test or leakdown but i'm fairly certain that there fine. The PCV system works properly. I spoke to another mechanic and he said that it may take 1000-2000kms to break in and have the rings seating properly. Now up to 450kms.

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Blue smoke is still there!! Theres a puff after decelerating in gear. It all equates to valves but the whole head/block was just rebuilt. Not sure how to fix this....any help??

Kurt

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Hi tim, Are you using "running in Oil" it is usualy a 30w oil put in for the first 1000 or so km is very thin and coould be getting in past the valve stem seals. Dose the car give off a big puff of smoke when you first start it . That usualy a good indication that the valve stem seals are shot.

Blue smoke is sounding more like fuel! to me, like you are getting unburnt gas coming out under decelaration.

stick with it and you will nut it out in the end.

keep us posted.

Kurt

ps if it ends up being the shops falt I can feel your pain. I just put in my rebuilt ew2 enging to find the jerk had put the timing belt on 3 teath out ran like a bucket of **** wasnt hard for me to fix but just shows its hard to trust an other persons work.

87sirex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
Blue smoke is almost always the rings. Just my 2 cents

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
well, that just means it's a "racing spec" engine.. hehehee. if the oil seeps through then you're getting little resistance! faster revs, right? hahahaa. sorry.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
well, that just means it's a "racing spec" engine.. hehehee. if the oil seeps through then you're getting little resistance! faster revs, right? hahahaa. sorry.

Hehe, yeah thats funny (nervous laugh) Humour is sometimes the best way to cope in a situation like this.

Was using straight 30W for 300kms and then when i took it back he anaylsed the oil and put pennziol 20W-50. That pissed me off cause i know you need that stuff in there for at least 1000kms. The smoke was worse on 30W and is less now but it's still bad. Theres NO oil burn on start up!!!

Once the crankcase gets pressure, then it blows blue smoke. But the PCV system works fine. Thinking of attaching a hose from the dipstick to the intake somehow (to relieve pressure??) and see if it still blows.

Theres no oil burn on hard acceleration which is a sign of bad rings.

As with it being fuel, i think thats black smoke

This ones got me puzzled, thanks for your input guys

sspcivic31

• Grog no like , Car no work! ARRGH!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
this might be quite a long shot, but did the oil control jet get put back in the block before the head went on?

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Not sure cause i didn't do the rebuild, i assume it would have. Wouldn't the oil have to get past the head gasket to get into the combustion chamber? Going to drive it tomorrow with the dipsitck removed (some sort of hose attached to stop it from spraying oil) and see if that relievs the pressure and stops it smoking, just so i can confirm whether theres too much pressure

TK3C

• Granny
  • Pip
Hi,

I have blue puff from my EW4 too, after decelerating from high revs (my redline is 7200) - If I keep the revs high, on a run through the mountains, it burns half liter oil per tank.

I suspect the rings, though it has good compression - the engine is almost 300k km

There is no smoke on starts, no smoke on hard accelerating, almost no oil consumption, if I run it below 4000 rpm. But it is hard...
Even if I run it for hours on the highway with 200km/h (yes it can!) I see no oil consumption

Edited by TK3C, 06 May 2004 - 09:28 AM.

timothymckay

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Yeah, those EW engines are hard to crack, as they get old they use oil but damn...they just keep on runnin. In hindsight i should never had swaped over.....but i just wanted DOHC D16A POWER!! smile.gif

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
ok here is a stupid question but i didn't see it on any post..what does ur exhaust smell like?? i mean any gearhead knows what oil burning smells like and everyne gearhead knows what rich mixture smells like so please let me know thanks