My New Crx

• You cannot reply to this topic
106 replies to this topic

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Most of you have seen my white car which I have owned for 2 years. Last year I purchased another CR-X for $900 from Brea, CA. It is a '84 Honda CR-X DX, pretty much completely stock. It has come a long way to this day and thankfully I know have an Integra GS-R to take over driving duties, so that i can conduct the work that I would like on my car without stressing over time. I would like to use this thread to document its progress as much as possible. Here are the pictures up to this point...

Initial condition,

A few Interior modifications, 88-91 CR-X seats, authentic Mugen steering wheel and Si center console,

Then a few cosmetic modifications including lowering, OEM Dx lip, Mugen NR10 wheels 15x6 +45 offset w/Kumho tires,OEM Euro smoked corners w/OEM side markers and Mr.D's ZC style OEM length hood,

I would also like to take this time to thank all those who were involved in this project, espeacially all the friends here at RPR who have helped me physically and informativly along the way. I'd also like to take this time to thank the shops who have helped me and the people who runs these shops. I feel sometimes that honest, professional, and down to earth shops are growing extinct and I think this is in turn hurting the industry and its growth.

A big thanks to,

Ronald at AeroDuo
Bisi at Bisimoto engineering
Geoff at Colt Cams
Marcus at Heeltoeauto.com
Robert at Monkeyz-Tek

Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 31 August 2009 - 08:46 PM.

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Continued,

The pictures of the engine during its stand life, the setup includes D15A1/EW3 block mated to a PE3 head, rebuilt bottom end(approx. 30,000 miles on the rotating assembly), Rebuilt cylinder head(less than 500 miles on the head), Colt Triflow stage 2 camshaft w/DX/Si valve spring combo, TWM intake manifold, Mikuni 40PHH dual sidedraft carburetors w/Pierce Manifold's velocity stacks, Hedman/Chikara headers, Cat delete, 2.25" piping to Mugen muffler, Aasco 7lbs flywheel w/Spec stage 3+ Clutch kit, Moroso 5.5 qt. oil pan(not pictured), 86 Si tranny, Faucet super loud, jack hammer fuel pump(soon to be replaced with a Holley unit), with Holley fuel pressure regulator,

And the motor installed currently,

This set up made 96.4 Hp to the wheels and 91.5 Tq to the wheels, these dyno runs where made with a faulty throttle cable which was not allowing the carburetors to reach 100% throttle opening. The next trip to the dyno will be Wed. March 28. Another update will be posted then with the new and old dyno charts, but I am very happy with the power being produced currently.

Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 26 March 2007 - 01:37 AM.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Nice! rolleyes.gif

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
The newest addition to the car is an adjustable cam gear from Bisimoto Engineering. It features a serated finish to the mating surface between the two peices of the gear to eliminate slipage, 6061 construction with 62 rockwell hard anodizing, ARP fastners, and are also fully balanced. Here are the pictures,

My plan was to degree my camshaft in but after contacting Geoff at Colt he informed me that he has never given out cam cards with specific valve events(IVO, IVC, EVO, EVC) which was really a disappointment to me. A little more info on the cam it is originally from a USDM CR-X Si and has its lobe seperation converted to the typical carburetor seperation by Geoff and then ground to the Tri Flow configuration. Obviously with cam regrinding and lobe seperation modification the valve events could be changed and probably will be changed. My objective for the next tune is to degree the camshaft in manually with the dyno to the best results and then set my valve events to those parameters, since I do not have a cam card. Just like I told Geoff when I contacted him about this information, this is in no way an attack on him or his company, I would just like to get the maximum from my camshaft investment and this involves degreeing the camshaft in with the proper valve events.

Another update is coming Wedensday with the dyno results, hopefully I can pick up some more RPM(peaks at 6,100 instead of the advertised 7,000-7,500), Hp, and Tq with the modifications and adjustments.

Stay tuned,
Julian

Edited by 87MugenProCR-X, 26 March 2007 - 01:39 AM.

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
Great looking crx,
that mugen exhaust looks very nice and twms are also nice ...
great parts cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

great job done, keep it going !

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dang, that's nice. I love the NR10s! Uber rare!!!!

I find those numbers kind of disappointing, though. I have a similar setup...

What are your jet settings?

For reference, the Jackson Racing 121 kit (Mikuni carbs, header, cam, muffler) netted 103 whp/121 chp on a stock ew3... At least that's what they advertised...

http://www.redpepper...15949-2/aaa.jpg
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Mar 26 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dang, that's nice. I love the NR10s! Uber rare!!!!

I find those numbers kind of disappointing, though. I have a similar setup...

What are your jet settings?

For reference, the Jackson Racing 121 kit (Mikuni carbs, header, cam, muffler) netted 103 whp/121 chp on a stock ew3... At least that's what they advertised...

http://www.redpepper...15949-2/aaa.jpg

The jets are 190 main air, 162.5 main jet, not sure of the jet block size. These jets were set on the dyno with the use of a wide band, the car is running at 13.0:1(give or take)AFR. I expect these jets to grow larger this Wedensday as the throttle position has increased.

I agree the numbers are disappointing but I expected this for a number of reasons. Namely because my compression is very low, with the Dx bottom end and the PE3 head I have lost compression(the head has only recieved a clean up cut, no real shaving, again this was by choice). I believe this is where my power lies. Another thing is the throttle problem, I was not recieving 100% throttle on these runs where the 96.4Hp was made. With that adjustment I am hoping to cross the 100wHp mark, but again that will be for the Wedensday update, only the dyno will tell. It's also hard to compare my setup to JR's, the header and cam can account for a significant difference in power production as can the compression differences.

Julian

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I'll check my notes on jetting. Sounds like the numbers Bisi recommended to me years ago. I'm excited about somebody actually tuning Mikunis with a wideband!!!!

My compression is low, too, even with a .040 shave on my Si head (w/dx block, .020 over dx pistons). Someday I will have the compression need to make some power.

You say you have low compression by choice. Are you going with some forced induction?

True about the JR comparison...

I look forward to updates, suscribed!

Posted Image

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Mar 26 2007, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say you have low compression by choice. Are you going with some forced induction?

Well, what I meant was that I didn't want to shave the head, I didn't want to alter the relationship of the crank and camshafts. I am looking to gain my compression from piston design and combustion chamber work, which will hopefully come soon, if my wallet and G/F allows. Also I have no plans going Forced Induction, this motor will be Atmospheric. Thanx for the comments by the way, and I see that Bisi has helped you aswell.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your setup. And maybe you have some power figures to share. Curious to see what others are running with similar setups.

Julian

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I used a cam gear to advance the cam back to 0 after the shave.

I will be going to Teg pistons and a stock height CDM DX head in the future, like you, when the wallet allows. I alread have a Delta 282 on the shelf waiting.

Current setup is:

DX block clean cut/.005, USDM DX .020 over pistons
Si head cut .040, ported, stock Si inner/outer springs
Webcam #148i/40, Lift .394/.412, Dur 242/252, Dur @.050 226/232
Mikuni 40PHHs, on unknown manifold (has the cvcc chamber cutouts)
DC Sports 4-2-1 header, no cat, 2 inch exh to Dynomax muffler
Holley carb/low psi pump, Holley regulator @3.5psi
Stock ignition, dist, coil...

I will get my jet settings tonight, they are at home in the manual.

This longblock is old. I built it before I knew about Teg pistons, CDM heads, and the Si/DX valve springs. It still runs good, and has just enough power to keep me happy.

I'm ashamed to say, I've never had it dyno'd or out to the drag strip. I have no numbers for you. All I have is a guestimate of high 14s, low 15s in the 1/4 depending on tires.

Posted Image

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
wow sweet project, cant wait to see the dyno

fritt

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 02 rsx type S . 91 civic
sweet crx i love the wheels you have...I want a set for my crx tongue.gif

Edited by fritt, 26 March 2007 - 01:24 PM.

eric87crx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX HF W/ Si motor R.I.P, 1985 Si w/ D16A1, 1996 Neon
    Garage View Garage
Definently sweet wheels man...how much money have u put into thsi ebast so far? with the setup your running it looks like ti would cost you a pretty penny

What He Said /\/\/\

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Mar 26 2007, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used a cam gear to advance the cam back to 0 after the shave.

I will be going to Teg pistons and a stock height CDM DX head in the future, like you, when the wallet allows. I alread have a Delta 282 on the shelf waiting.

Current setup is:

DX block clean cut/.005, USDM DX .020 over pistons
Si head cut .040, ported, stock Si inner/outer springs
Webcam #148i/40, Lift .394/.412, Dur 242/252, Dur @.050 226/232
Mikuni 40PHHs, on unknown manifold (has the cvcc chamber cutouts)
DC Sports 4-2-1 header, no cat, 2 inch exh to Dynomax muffler
Holley carb/low psi pump, Holley regulator @3.5psi
Stock ignition, dist, coil...

I will get my jet settings tonight, they are at home in the manual.

This longblock is old. I built it before I knew about Teg pistons, CDM heads, and the Si/DX valve springs. It still runs good, and has just enough power to keep me happy.

I'm ashamed to say, I've never had it dyno'd or out to the drag strip. I have no numbers for you. All I have is a guestimate of high 14s, low 15s in the 1/4 depending on tires.

Thanx for sharing your setup, it sounds fairly similar. I notice that your cam is a little mild compared to what I am currently running. I have the specs for you below. I know its hard sometimes to find a reputable tuner and completely understand about not having dyno numbers. A quick question for you, with the Web cam where do you feel the power drop off?

Colt Tri Flow Stage II,

PRIM INT 280° .392 LIFT
SEC INT 268° .383 LIFT
EX 288° .394 LIFT

I believe the duration is advertised not actual, I'll have to verify that after the degreeing is completed.

QUOTE (eric87crx @ Mar 26 2007, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definently sweet wheels man...how much money have u put into thsi ebast so far? with the setup your running it looks like ti would cost you a pretty penny

Too much, the wheels set me back a nice stack. But in my opinion it was a good deal for good condition wheels that I liked. Motor wise, I've probably spent about $2,500-3,000 USD, have yet to touch the rotating assembly(besides the rebuild).

Julian

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Yeah, it's pretty mild. Again, if I knew then what I know now.... I'd say it starts falling off around 7500...

Here's what I have. I have not made either of the advised changes yet. Where do you get jets? I need to order some.

main air jet 180
bleed pipe T
jet block 8
main jet 142.5
pilot jet 57.5
pump nozzle 40
starter jet 130

Advised changes from Ben Schaeffer of GTR Motorsports

main air jet 170
main jet 145
pump nozzle 35
pilot screw 1.5 turns out