17 replies to this topic

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
All that safety equipment talk reminded me that I've been meaning to ask about this. I noticed when I finally got rid of my "stupid spare" (I HATE space-saver spares) and got one of the phone dials from my '86 to put in the back of my '87 that there was not enough room to accommodate a full size spare tire. Now that I'm going to get a 15" rim spare to match my other rims, I'm revisiting what to do about this little shortcoming of my 'rex. I have some ideas on how to take care of this without totally compromising the remaining cargo space, but I was just wondering what the rest of you had done/plan to do to make room for a full size spare.
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
C'mon guys! I know you're not all keeping the "stupid" spares, and I also know that you're not bolting the full size spare to the roof. [in my best Dr. Evil voice] Throw me a bone here!
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Quite honestly...I don't have the spare in for city driving, only for long trips, and it's the small one. I just carry a can of that "tire-patch" stuff for the city, cause your never really far from somewhere you can get it fixed...

DarkHand

I guess you could cut out the spare tire well and a little extra material to weld in a larger well, but I have no idea what you'd run into structurally while doing so.
DarkHand

bombayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx dx
i strap mine to the roof....

d15a3power

I keep a can o' fix-a-flat since I removed the donut spare for my sub!

We had to sawz-all out the bracket that holds the jack, you would get more space that way.

HTH,
Jeff
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

Kain

• From Ashy to Classy
  • PipPipPip
i don't even have my spare anymore sad.gif
Ay!
Ay, dog, ay!
You stepped on my sneaker meng!

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Perhaps some thing like this (enter ms paint):

crxls

• corvette contender
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: your car if i find the keys
    • Image Gallery
just keep in mind that having a spare tire there is a safety feature in itself.
When I die, i want to go asleep peaceful.......... not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in the car

"i left the bar a little after you and ended up flipping my car in the arbys drive thru"

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Dec 10 2008, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another loser who can not get traction. I feel sorry for him.

IM A LOSER!!! my car pulls harder when spinning than any "highly modified" EW

Team BUrnOUt founding member

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
I just used an extra 13x5" steelie and 175/70-13 cheap all-season tire. At least it's stock diameter, and rated for normal speeds (55mph is likely to get you killed on most freeways around here). It won't grip like the Falkens on the other 3 corners, but that shouldn't be an issue for the limited times that it might get used.

IIRC, it was taller, and made the floor panel thing sit up a bit, and was a hair snug, but otherwise fit.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i jsut used a spare 13" stock with all sesson on it it was higher then the well but having a hatch i was able to make the floor level with a small piece of hardboard and undercarpet.

C8V6C

Weight redux.....

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I have the opposite problem. I just bought a '90 Prelude and it came with a full sized spare. Not really a problem, but the ful sized spare does not fit the trunk as I would like so I want to swap my full sized for a tiny spare.

Anybody in the LA area want to swap? Otherwise, I will be going to the pick n' pull.

The spare tire does add a measure of engergy absorption when struck from the rear. That Buick's front grill's next stop is your gas tank if you remove the spare from the trunk/boot.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Ryland

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '85 Cr-X HF (Stock), '84 Civic DX (totaled) '92 Civic VX (Stock) Honda cb350, Honda cl100.
    • Image Gallery
I have a 13" rim with a 175/70 tire, it sticks up an inch or so, but I have thin plywood in the back of the CRX under the carpet, I'm wondering if something like a 155/65 might be a better spare tire size, as it would be narrower, thus sitting lower.
when my hatch got totaled, the spare tire got wedged in pretty well, no telling how much of the shock it took, but it did take some.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I think my hatch had little foam blocks on the bottom of the tire covor to support in on the thin donut, I torn them off when the full size spare (175/70R13)went in and I don't recall having any problems. But, its been years since I've had an interior, so I may have just imagined it fitting right. Or I'm thinking of the wrong car (finance had 86 sedan)

Edited by Screech, 15 May 2005 - 07:47 PM.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)