• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

You can't put it in gear on any slope and have it stay. It just rolls.

HaHa! Yeah, I guess that would be true!
Kinda like an old RX7...only worse.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery

Are you running a vacuum pump for the brake booster?  Or just running un-boosted?

One of our biggest issues used to be stopping the noise from the vac pump getting into the cabin.

Our electric powertrain used a high RPM motor so we didn't need need multiple gears, just a single speed.  We had a "Parking Pawl" in the gearbox for when the car was parked to lock everything up.

That said, our budget was ASTRONOMICAL, funded partially by GM and partially by the Ontario Government so we could do pretty much whatever we wanted.

I like what you've put together on the budget you had/have!

Rob

Edit...

PS this was our powertrain

podzespoly_dla_pojazdow_elektrycznych_ma

This was the finished Vehicle

EquinoxEV.jpg

Edited by RETROCRX, 03 October 2014 - 10:36 AM.

Must.....go......racing.......

octagondd

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF

Right now I have unboosted manual brakes. The car is light so it doesn't take much to stop, but I have used the e-brake on occasion. I do have a vacuum pump, but haven't installed it yet. I am sure it will be noisy, but I also ordered an extra tank to hold some vacuum so I have immediate power brakes without waiting for the pump to spool up and so the pump doesn't have to turn on every time I hit the pedal. I have added some rubber to the mount to try to isolate the pump from the body, but may also need to make a box for it to keep the sound down. Right now I have lots of road noise because of the holes in the hatch for the battery boxes aren't sealed up yet. I think I am going to try the expanding foam to seal them, but am concerned about the foam squeaking as the body and boxes move while bumping down the road.

I also ordered some Integra calipers and rotors, but Pepboys said they didn't fit the knuckles. I haven't had a chance to look at that myself yet. I may need Integra knuckles and steering rods.

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery

100% the Integra calipers will fit on the knuckle.....that's what I have.  As long as you have both the caliper and the caliper frame that holds the pads.  The Integra caliper alone will not fit on the stock caliper frame.  You have to have both parts.

For the vac pump, a vac reservoir is a good idea, we had one also.  For our vac pump we had to double isolate it mechanically and mount it to a mass damper to kill the chassis borne noise.  Basically a rubber mounted 5lb lump of steel plate with the vac pump mounted to the lump through rubber bushings also.  We didn't have an issue with noise through the case of the pump.

Rob

Must.....go......racing.......

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery

Right now I have unboosted manual brakes. The car is light so it doesn't take much to stop, but I have used the e-brake on occasion.

This is key to what I'm fixing to say.

You really don't 'need' the booster! Not only that, but if you were to eliminate it entirely, your brake pedal feedback will be several time better than ANYTHING you'd get from a vacuum boosted brake system.

I eliminated the booster from my race cars over twelve years ago and have never regretted it. The only drawback to doing it is that it takes a little more pedal pressure to achieve the equivalent braking power of the vacuum boosted brakes. You will notice it but it's really not significant and you get used to it very quickly.

I even figured out how to do this and leave the essentially empty booster in place.

If you're driving your car right now with the stock booster in place without the vacuum assist please don't thing it's the same thing. It isn't even close. There are parts inside the booster that need to be removed and/or modified to achieve what I'm talking about. I only know this because we had to do this to a friends CRX race car 20+ years ago when his booster developed a significant leak. Overnight we gutted it and I made some metal parts to replace some rubber stuff in it. The next day he said it had the best brake pedal feel EVER... even though it wasn't exactly legal. We also left it like that for the rest of the time he owned the car. :D

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

octagondd

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF

If you're driving your car right now with the stock booster in place without the vacuum assist please don't thing it's the same thing. It isn't even close. There are parts inside the booster that need to be removed and/or modified to achieve what I'm talking about. I only know this because we had to do this to a friends CRX race car 20+ years ago when his booster developed a significant leak. Overnight we gutted it and I made some metal parts to replace some rubber stuff in it. The next day he said it had the best brake pedal feel EVER... even though it wasn't exactly legal. We also left it like that for the rest of the time he owned the car. :D

The only thing removed from my brake setup is the vacuum from the original engine. The pedal was very stiff, but worked well. One day I opened the brake fluid fill canister and since then my pedal has been a little spongy. I probably need to bleed the lines to get the stiffer pedal back.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

The only thing removed from my brake setup is the vacuum from the original engine. The pedal was very stiff, but worked well. One day I opened the brake fluid fill canister and since then my pedal has been a little spongy. I probably need to bleed the lines to get the stiffer pedal back.

sometimes the spongy-ness is from the rubber hose wearing out. You can test this by putting a pinch clamp closest to the hard metal line on the body. Probably have to pinch all 4 lines at the same time. I would just replace with the stainless steel braided ones you can get on ebay.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Was thinking about this the other day, how does a full charge compare on cost per mile? I would say mpgs, but that might be hard to measure electricity in gallons  :blink:

WD40with1200grit

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 JDM CR-X Si

Hell YES!!!

I've always wanted to do this but a little differently...

Keep the FF platform with the combustion engine and run that off HHO Dry Cells. Have the electric motor driving the back wheels powered by the generation of power from the  engine up front, so no weight from batteries.

FF/AWD Hydrogen/Electric Hybrid. This is my dream. B)

Free will means taking full responsibility for everything we think, feel and do.

Once we give up taking full-responsibility for our real lives we have given over our real lives to third party's to take responsibility, often to men and women who are complete strangers to us, our families, our communities and our natural environment.

When we RE-PRESENT what is not PRESENT to the PRESENCE of LIFE we are creating, committing, supporting and condoning fraud.

TRUTH is where the presence of LIFE is always present.

FREE SPEECH without respect = HATE SPEECH.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
One recent electric MR2 that raced with us in NC had the electric brake pump. That think was annoying constant start/stop even while car was sitting no foot on brake, could have been leak, or maybe that is just how they are but running for only 3-4 seconds and stopping for 9-10 seamed wasteful in my mind. My thought on preventing that was a very low pressure tank with pressure regulator between it and the booster with a wider min/max pressure for the start/stop (perhaps start at -25 and stop at -50). Let the pump go down to -50lbs while the regulated side to the booster only sees -20lb. I don't know what volume the tank between pump and regulator should be, maybe the old exhaust under the car could be used as a tank I guess if it is still sealed. Then pump could be in the back where the muffler was.

I do love the electric conversions, I will say my thoughts are with no research into if they would work, just random brainstorms.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)