Wagon Takeover! Post Wagon Picks With Info

• You cannot reply to this topic
270 replies to this topic

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (BigOrange @ Jun 7 2006, 06:34 PM)
"The roof isnt strong enough to support the glass. The rood wouold need major bracing wleded in and even then it might not be enough and may weaken the chassis."

FWIW, the sunroof that was in my CRX, which I know was stock, had absolutely no bracing done to the roof. I removed the sunroof and it left a thin piece of sheet metal with a hole in it that can barely hold 10lbs without buckling. The sunroof is glass, tinted, and the flip-up style... I guess it came on some Canadian DX's unsure.gif.

And guess what... I don't need it. Cut a hole, screw in the frame, hinges and latch, and you're good to go.

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 Honda Civic AWD Wagon
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jun 7 2006, 10:16 PM)
To reaffirm the sunroof dream.  There is bracing already on the wagon roof.  Double that of the hatchie, and sedan.  The wagon will support it. 

I don't know I would think bigorange would know his stuff....he's a bigger wagon lover than me (not by much though, he's just loved longer biggrin.gif )

QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Jun 8 2006, 07:45 AM)
oem sunroof:
(pic - wagon ad)

crxls was telling me that the aftermarket sunroofs don't weigh that much???

great ad

QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jun 8 2006, 07:59 AM)
FWIW, the sunroof that was in my CRX, which I know was stock, had absolutely no bracing done to the roof. I removed the sunroof and it left a thin piece of sheet metal with a hole in it that can barely hold 10lbs without buckling. The sunroof is glass, tinted, and the flip-up style... I guess it came on some Canadian DX's unsure.gif.

And guess what... I don't need it. Cut a hole, screw in the frame, hinges and latch, and you're good to go.

I told crxls that I wanted the one off of friends car and he said I couldn't do it because of the sliding cover and all the parts (it took the inside roof down like 2 inches). I asked why can't I just cut a hole and weld it in.....I guess you can't weld glass..(unless you leave a window down while welding the side molding holes blink.gif )..but I don't see why I can't cut a hole and put down a rubber gasket thing and screw it down.....right? I don't really care if it flips-up or anything, I just want a skylight. smile.gif

Visit: Asimo - The Coolest LowRider

FI Blacktop D16A1/ZC Hybrid

crazi-85crx

This is the one I have. Except without the fancy drain tubes, wind deflector, or sun shade. You just pull the latch and it pops up about an inch or two in the back.

http://www.redpepper...22/abp.png.html

*Note: the "main seal" is metal, and sandwiches between the top and bottom of the roof. Then the glass and hinges screw to that.

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Jun 8 2006, 08:13 AM)
This is the one I have. Except without the fancy drain tubes, wind deflector, or sun shade. You just pull the latch and it pops up about an inch or two in the back.

http://www.redpepper...22/abp.png.html

*Note: the "main seal" is metal, and sandwiches between the top and bottom of the roof. Then the glass and hinges screw to that.

Thanks, I didn't even think to look in the manual. I have one but thanks for the link. Because the main seal is metal I would think it would leak.....does it?

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (sindrlla @ Jun 9 2006, 12:06 PM)
Thanks, I didn't even think to look in the manual. I have one but thanks for the link. Because the main seal is metal I would think it would leak.....does it?

Doesn't leak a drop. You just have to use either a double sided sealing tape or polyurethane windshield sealer (aka window weld).

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have just mentioned what I have been told. It seems to make sense to me, but I COULD very well be wrong.. The people in VA are idiots anyways.. But you also have a roof thats a foot or 2 longer than the civic hatch and isnt braced the same. My civic hatch had a flimsy roof on it.. and it had the B pillar bracing running accross the roof to support the roof..

What alot of you might not know about a wagon is that when you sit in it and drive it, your shoulders line right up with the b pillars....

So first off no B pillar support bars..

So in order to have a sun roof over your head, you would need to cut the B pillar bracing going accross the roof, that supports the roof and is very structural.

I would not do this.. at all... I guess you could move it forward if you had a tiny glass roof but even then that might comprimise the strength of the framing around the windsheild.

But it looks like they have a shorter glass panel in that wagon on Joeys post, and it looks pushed forward..

That looks promising but something thats installed by Honda is totally different than something installed by Jimbo thats got a 1970's chevy pick up with a holley double pumper elimiator carb with mud tires on it... I would say the quality is going to be a little different. and besides the crx si has different bracing in it going across the roof compared to you glass roof people.

You could be really cool and have one right over the back seats maybe??? smile.gif

But thats my reasoning and (their) reasoning for no sunroof in a wagon. Cutting the B-pillar support going accross the roof would be not good.. structurally weaking the vehicle, and causes a more than fun trampoline roof!!!

-Brian

Edited by BigOrange, 09 June 2006 - 10:30 PM.

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (BigOrange @ Jun 9 2006, 10:22 PM)
What alot of you might not know about a wagon is that when you sit in it and drive it, your shoulders line right up with the b pillars....

laugh.gif Not. I check myblind spots through the rear side windows. laugh.gif The b pillar is about where my elbow rests. The arm rest is useless, so is hanging out my arm out the window.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
^ .........
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
You could be really cool and have one right over the back seats maybe??? smile.gif

Actually, I was considering this because crxls says a sunroof is bad because the sun beats down on you......but, do I care about my passengers comfort?! smile.gif !? hehehehe ohmy.gif

.. structurally weaking the vehicle, and causes a more than fun trampoline roof!!!
-Brian

woohoo trampoline! biggrin.gif

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
Wandering the galleries and found some love

from 3gencivic

badpenny

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
more gallery searching love

bigorange

sdubfid

gasoline fumes

airgasm

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
more....

AndrewSmit

me

that's all I found in the galleries.......

agesthreeandup

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX
    Garage View Garage
There is a wagon for sale near my work in Vanvouver. It has the 86 style headlights and does have a sunroof.

I was considering buy it or the 89 prelude they have there with the 4 wheel steering.

I don't really need another car tho, I have 4 and a motorbike. I am just being greedy.

Spencer.
Spencer

sindrlla

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (agesthreeandup @ Jun 10 2006, 05:33 PM)
There is a wagon for sale near my work in Vanvouver. It has the 86 style headlights and does have a sunroof.

I was considering buy it or the 89 prelude they have there with the 4 wheel steering.

I don't really need another car tho, I have 4 and a motorbike. I am just being greedy.

Spencer.

I'd be envious of the sunroof.

I think preludes are ugly....but then look at my wagon. biggrin.gif

There is nothing wrong with being greedy as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. So, I say - be greedy. smile.gif

agesthreeandup

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (sindrlla @ Jun 11 2006, 06:13 AM)
I think preludes are ugly....but then look at my wagon.  biggrin.gif

Not a big prelude fan but love the 4 wheel steering. Very fun to drive. That would be the ONLY reason I would get one as everything else I dont line.

The Wagon looks like it is in very good shape but is an auto so that is also a turn off for me.

Spencer.
Spencer