Posted Image
05192012083.jpg

Non-Ricer_Civic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Toyota Hilux 2WD
    Garage View Garage

Assuming the motor + trans are ready to come out (all fluids, rear mount, shift linkage, drive shafts, harness........ only two mounts holding everything in should remain.
Step one : place a piece of ply wood under the motor. take wheels off and lower the car right to the ground resting the brake disks/oil pan on the ground. oil pan should be resting on the ply wood.
I use two honda scissor jacks under the rad support (one on each side) to get it to this point.

Step two: unbolt motor and trans.

Step Three: start jacking the car up. once high enough use a real jack. depending on how high you jack goes you might need to place it on cylinder blocks, get some good jack stands which will be set behind the front wheels.
If needed the motor can be put on it's back and dragged out quite easily. even a piece of carpet can be used instead of plywood.

This method done correctly is quite safe. the scissor jacks are only for getting the car to it's lowest point and started back up.

Install is opposite of removal.

Do I have to remove the head and manifolds for this? I know will have to remove the cat/exhaust system, but do I have to tear apart my motor? I found an engine that runs great, and I don't really want to tear it apart. The junk EW1 that's coming out of my 86 I'll have no problem tearing apart, because I'll rebuild it and keep it as a spare motor.

If I HAVE TO pull it apart, I guess that will work anyway, because the running EV1 has a bent valve, so I can remove a valve from the junk EW1 and put it into the EV1. (They do use the same size valves, correct?)