Time To Buy A New Brake Booster!

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

3GSi209

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si
My brake booster went out and I was wondering what brake booster I would be able to directly swap into my 86 Civic Si without modifications.

I was really interested in swapping in one from a carbureted prelude. I don't exactly know which one will be compatible. - Any other suggestions are welcome as well!

Edited by 3GSi209, 28 March 2020 - 12:07 AM.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

On my '86 Civic Si hatch, I used the Dorman/Cardone P/N 112039 with a 7/8" bore from a 1985 Carb'd Prelude. Purchased from RockAuto.com. This was a direct replacement and allows for the big brake/rear disc upgrade should you desire it. 

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

3GSi209

• Granny
  • Pip
Thank GeezRX for the specific part. I'm going to search for that on RockAuto now!

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Are we talking about the brake booster (uses vacuum to make pressing brakes easier) or the master cylinder (the part that actually pushing the brake fluid to the system)?

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

yeah, good call...my reply pertained to the master cylinder which is what I "assumed" the OP was referring to.

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
my mc leaked into the brake booster last year. (outright replaced the mc) i rebuilt the vac booster. the brake fluid was not kind to the paint and metal inside the booster. not sure ur failure. make sure the booster is clean

after i replaced the booster, i had to play w the plunger adj. fsm states special tool. i adjusted while driving around. if too tight, the brakes heat up. i’d let the car coast to a stop wo braking and feel rotor temp. then i’d back it off if any warmth. that was the biggest trick to the booster rebuild - if u end up changing that

i was surprised how pliable the 33 yr old rubber inside the booster was begging original and all

my repair last year was stock, not upgrade
Keepin' it OEM

3GSi209

• Granny
  • Pip
What would be a good Brake Booster upgrade? BTW, I also bought the 85 prelude master cylinder and yet to install it.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I've just stuck with OE booster. I also have the Prelude MC on mine with 87 Integra PV, 94 Del Sol S front calipers and 87 Integra rear calipers.

The main reason for going to the Prelude MC is that it worked with the OE booster while having the larger piston size like the Integra MC.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

3GSi209

• Granny
  • Pip

I've just stuck with OE booster. I also have the Prelude MC on mine with 87 Integra PV, 94 Del Sol S front calipers and 87 Integra rear calipers.

The main reason for going to the Prelude MC is that it worked with the OE booster while having the larger piston size like the Integra MC.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely make use of the 85 prelude Master Cylinder on my Red Civic Si Hatch that has a OE Prop Valve along with 1G Integra Rear Disc Setup. I've been having difficulty finding am OE Booster though.

On another note, I did get an AP1 S2k Booster and MC. It's also been suggested that it is a direct bolt on and that the Cap with the wire from the OE MC be used to get the Fluid level reading. This will be tested on my White Civic Si hatch with 1G Integra PV and rear Discs and Calipers, and Font JDM 1G Balade CR-X Si front Hubs, Discs and Calipers.

Edited by 3GSi209, 30 April 2020 - 10:35 AM.

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

If you have access to rockauto.com, they show to have boosters for both OE '86 Civic and '85 Prelude.

3GSi209

• Granny
  • Pip

If you have access to rockauto.com, they show to have boosters for both OE '86 Civic and '85 Prelude.

I was able to purchase the 85 Prelude MC from RockAuto, but since I couldn't find the 85 carb prelude booster on that site, I ended up ordering it from Autozone new.

I will try that 85 base prelude Booster setup on my daily red 86 Civic Si. I will try the AP1 S2K setup on the white one