Red 86 Crx, Last Driven In 91

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF Auto

I've seen a number of side-carbed conversions but honestly, everyone that I've talked to has had tuning issues with these set ups.  Too rich.  You see, the primary issues is the head.  Honda calls it a 12 valve head but actually it's 16, including the little auxillary valve that opens in advance of the two primaries intake valves.  What's more, the spark plug is pulled back away from the combustion camber just enough for the auxillary valve and the spark plug to work together in the little pre-combustion chamber before the main event.  BTW, that's why it's so important to use specified spark plug for the cvcc engine because they are the correct length and temperature.  Also know that the crown of the piston is shaped for the cvcc design only.  Everything works together to create a lean burn.  A dual carbed setup sounds cool and everything that goes with it.  Just do a lot of research to find someone who's had great success.  Chances are, they've gone with a different head.

What you are describing sounds like CVCC, but mine is d15a2, which I thought is non-CVCC. Or is it? Any way to determine that for sure? I know of CVCC concept and had problems with it back when I owned a Civic Shuttle/Wagovan back in Europe and tried to switch to a different carb and intake from another civic. Damn...

Edited by Georgeous, 08 September 2017 - 10:25 AM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery

What you are describing sounds like CVCC, but mine is d15a2, which I thought is non-CVCC. Or is it? Any way to determine that for sure? I know of CVCC concept and had problems with it back when I owned a Civic Shuttle/Wagovan back in Europe and tried to switch to a different carb and intake from another civic. Damn...

Take off the valve cover and count the number of valves or rocker arms and you will know.  Or, look at the marking on the head to determine which head it is - look on the exhaust side of the head just above the #3/#4 cylinders?  PE0-2, I think?

shuttlecraft

• Shuttlecraft
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 wagon fwd

The cvcc carb will have three visible barrels with only the air cleaner cover off.  Facing the engine; primary in the back, secondary in the front and the small dime sized-auxilary on the right.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Take off the valve cover and count the number of valves or rocker arms and you will know.  Or, look at the marking on the head to determine which head it is - look on the exhaust side of the head just above the #3/#4 cylinders?  PE0-2, I think?

That I can do later today or tomorrow, will post to the thread.

The cvcc carb will have three visible barrels with only the air cleaner cover off.  Facing the engine; primary in the back, secondary in the front and the small dime sized-auxilary on the right.

That looks like mine, unfortunately. I guess I will have to restore the original carb then. I tried to find the float chamber yesterday, took the air filter box off and felt pathetic not being able to find it. I did spray with carb cleaner all the holes I could find in each barrel though...

There seems to be something like excessive pressure build up in the fuel system. With my engine off as I was getting to the carb I have unhooked the fuel line where it enters the carb, and later I noticed that it keeps dripping gas, even being in the upright position... Wondering what could cause this. I have then went to the gas tank cap, and as I opened it, it did suck in quite an amount of air as I opened it...

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Check your online FSM...float is on the driver's side rear of the carb at firewall beneath the carb top cover, so it requires disassembly to access it. If you're lucky, the float will just be sticking from sitting unused for so long with old fuel and a good carb rebuild will alleviate the problem...sometimes the float actually gets a hole in it and fills up with fuel, causing the/a problem. In that case, source another good one or fix your existing one with some fuel resistant sealant.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Got the title for the crx in the mail today, hooray! Will get it registered on Friday, and will proceed to fixing the carb issues now :) my wife made me promise I won't invest a penny in the car until I get the title. Oh well, I got it now!

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

Congratulations on now being a bona fide CRX owner!

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

Congrats! I hope you have been saving up for this moment. :)

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Even though I did take the original gas pump off to inspect the diaphragm in my attempt to resolve "engine flooding with gas" issue, I thought that I'd replace it to make 100% sure this is not the pump, before I dig into the carb. Next step would be to order the "Walker Products 15898 Carburetor Kit" and dig into the carb, which I am honestly afraid of. I am really afraid of failing to rebuild it and hook back up.

Saturday I am going to see the guy from Craigslist with R14 steelies and almost new Goodyear winter tires, like 3k miles on them... This would be my winter/roller setup while I am sorting out all mechanical issues with the car.

On one hand, I have high hope of restoring CRX to original condition with mild modes on the technical side (brakes, suspension, etc), on the other hand, I sometimes tend to think that b20 or k20 swap with Chedda's mounts would be easier than this carb thing, lol.

Edited by Georgeous, 09 February 2018 - 02:08 PM.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

So, I have installed the fuel pump which I got off Amazon, which was so China that I had to file the bolt holes on it a little to make it fit. Once I completed that, I realized that my starter doesn't work. Last time I have tried to crank the engine (which was full of gas), the starter was smoking a bit and now it just doesn't work.

Question - is there a different starter for auto and manual? This may be a bit of a stupid question, but for some reason, I do recall from owning a wagovan earlier that they were interchangeable (or same)... Please advise guys.

Edited by Georgeous, 12 February 2018 - 03:29 PM.

Sinub

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 2012 Civic Si, 1987 Crx Si
    Garage View Garage

So, I have installed the fuel pump which I got off Amazon, which was so China that I had to file the bolt holes on it a little to make it fit. Once I completed that, I realized that my starter doesn't work. Last time I have tried to crank the engine (which was full of gas), it was smoking a bit and now it just doesn't work.

Question - is there a different starter for auto and manual? This may be a bit of a stupid question, but for some reason, I do recall from owning a wagovan earlier that they were interchangeable (or same)... Please advise guys.

I would assume that they are different. Check on Rockauto and it'll specify if the starter is for a Crx Si, manual, automatic, HF etc. 

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Alright, this just got more mysterious. So last weekend I have replaced the fuel pump, and as I was going to try starting the car again - I have drained my old oil (mixed with gas) and filled engine with new. Then I switched to troubleshoot the starter as the car wouldn't start. Today, as I was about to start on taking the starter out, I thought that I need to check the oil level. AND THE ENGINE IS FULL OF GAS AGAIN. How? I clearly remember opening the gas tank cap before replacing the pump, to even out the pressure so it wouldn't spray gas once I disconnect the gas lines from the pump.

Another thing I noticed is that every time I open the gas tank cap it noticeably sucks in air, you can hear it.

How is the gas getting past the pump and carb and fills up the engine that hasn't been started? Besides the pump to carb fuel line, there is also some round thing under the vacuum box on the firewall (passenger side) which has red braided line (same style as pump ful line, so guessing its also a gas one).

Edited by Georgeous, 17 February 2018 - 01:57 PM.

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage

Float in carburetor not shutting off fuel.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

My cars have been breaking one after another, so I barely found any time to spend with my CRX but lookie-lookie what I found: https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-FL103-Carburetor/dp/B000C7ZNXA/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522336561&sr=1-1&keywords=FL103+Carburetor 

This little thing seems to be the float replacement for the Keihin carb for the CRX, at least judging by the Amazon Description and fitment notes. I have grabbed one, along with the Walker Products 15898 Carburetor Kit. Waiting for the warmer days to come to NJ as I have to work outside.

Edited by Georgeous, 29 March 2018 - 10:24 AM.

Georgeous

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Finally got to spend some quality time with the CRX. I have figured out that you don't need to take off the carburetor to access the float chamber - you just need to undo 5-6 bolts that hold the top lid, and undo a small cotter pin at one corner. Chamber with the float was very dirty and seems like fuel was sitting long there. I have thoroughly cleaned it all and seems like float started to work. I cleaned and lubed battery terminals and ground wire connections on the block and the body. I bought $40 steelies with tires that hold air and installed them.

Now starter is the only thing holding me back to being road worthy, hopefully.