I've Got A Vibration. Gets Worse The Faster The Car Goes.

• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members

Scratching my head over this one.  I noticed it had gotten bad during yesterday's event, and again today.  There is a vibration, and it feels just like the tires/wheels are out of balance.  Starts about 50 mph and gets worse the faster the car goes.  The steering wheel wobbles back and forth.

It started after I changed to the new wheel/tire combo.  It was intermittent and not really a worry but it's slowly gotten worse.

It's not the new wheels out of balance, it does it with the stock CRX wheels and Perelli tires that have always been fine.

I had to add a spacer to make the new wheels clear the caliper in the front.  I also put longer wheel studs in (from a Legend).  When I removed the rotor (Integra brakes in front) I had to drill the two screws out that hold the rotor to the hub and I did not replace them (the lug nuts hold the rotor in place, that's the way it is on my Saturn so I left it). 

Other than that, I noticed that the toe out had increased considerably.  A bit of a head scratcher, that one.  I reset it thinking it was causing the problem but it had no effect.

I removed the spacer and it helped but it still has the vibration.  I checked the front suspension over and everything is tight and does not appear worn in any way.

Any ideas?

Edited by Andy69, 20 July 2014 - 07:06 PM.

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2003 Jaguar S-Type R

Have you checked ball joints or tie rods?  The wheel/tires might have exacerbated a problem 

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

yeah, nothing wrong with them that I can see.

That was my first inclination.

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage

Does the vibration happen under power? Does it change when out of the throttle or in a turn? Check the wheel bearings, axles, and trans diff bearings?

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
Throttle doesn't seem to make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2003 Jaguar S-Type R

http://www.hotrod.co...mies_and_cures/

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

those ceramic bead things are bizarre, but it makes sense.

I'm leaning toward the wheel bearings.  Everything else seems fine - ball joints, tie rods, steering.  I suppose it's possible the new CV joint is going bad but I don't see that as terribly likely at this point.

Andy69

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip

When I replaced the hub that failed, the vibration went away, so evidently it was caused by the failing hub.

And I drove to and competed in Blytheville with it like that :eek: