Crx - B18c1 Jdm Swap

• You cannot reply to this topic
212 replies to this topic

85supersleeper

• am i still in the slow lane???
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda Civic sedan
^^^ are there supposed to be pics in that last post? haha im a bit confused.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Not yet. Got to actually make it up yet.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Pictures

I tried using the 12 volt electric heater and fan, but the fan was not pushing enough air. What I have ended up doing is taking the integra fan assembly apart so that there is only a fan and duct, and adding the ceramic heater core from the 12 electic heater and fan. With a mounting bracket and a bit of work, this assembly now bolts into the place originally occupied by the heater/distribution air box in the middle of the dash.

Picture of original crx fan assembly and modified integra assembly - you can see the part I removed - essentially the air intake and air recirculation part. What is left is nice and compact. You can see the ceramic heater sitting in the air stream at the top of the outlet.

and a view of the modified assembly were the air is drawn into the fan. I used plywood as it was readily available and has good strength to weight, and I didn't have any sheet aluminium of thick enough gauge to work. The gold and blue is a patch over an insert for a heat sink and diode in the original fan body

anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've got a list of 32 items needed before I visit the licensing centre. Knocked off 14 this weekend.
The dash is just about done. I've sealed off the top of the dash and the metal section of the dash that does air flow so I can get air onto the windscreen - used sheet balsa and silicone. Sealed off the firewall holes, and tidied up and tied off the wiring along the firewall. Made up a little plywood shelf inside the dash above the glovebox and below the vacant space where the airbag used to be, and installed the ecu in there. It's easily accessable from the top od the dash through the cover that used to be attached to the airbag. Installed the glovebox as well, and thats the passenger side done. The drivers side needs the main relay sorted out (it just sits and chatters, so a spare airconditior relay is doing the job right now) and a switch for the fan, and then I can button that side up as well. The integra indicator cluster cover has been cut to fit, so the steering wheel is done as well. When the light is a bit better I'll take some pictures of the (almost) complete installation - its been raining and cloudy most of the weekend.

Also redid the clutch lever attachement so that I have a better alignment between the lever, cable and gearbox mounting point, and a better fit to the cable length. Much better action now, and is about normal resistance.

The getting it on the road part of the project is coming to an end.
anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
very quicj update.

the list is down to less than ten items. yesterday I finished making up an aluminium sheet replacement headlight surround for the drivers side. A proper replacement will have to wait.

The camera was lost by #3 son last week, so I can't do pictures just now. As soon as that gets replaced I'll post up some pics and fill in some information on what's been done.
anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Another little update.

Put the cover plate on the flywheel a couple of weeks ago, and it rubbed. It was the auto box cover, so the mounting holes were a bit displaced sideways for some reason- about 5mm. Did it properly today. Lengthened a couple of holes, and now its good.

Also put on the engine stiffeners. They are bracing pieces that go between the bottom of the gearbox and the block. Again they were the auto box sections. The one on the front was no problem, but the rear one required a few alterations. The bolt into the block was a different size, and I had to drill out the hole in the stiffener. Then the shape was out, and I had to bend the section about 10mm to get the holes to match up, and rework the clearance for the oil pan. Quite a lot of work at the end; and for a while I thought I might have to scavenge one somewhere or fabricate a replacement. But it's modified and on.

Something to watch out for if you are using ex auto blocks.

Still waiting on a camera, so sorry no pics. But there are some very nice cameras around - I've been prepurchase looking.
anjin aka Ian

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok CAmera has been had - a nice dSLR. Pictures of dash install and engine bay

drivers side views

from the back

Passenger side

hiding the ecu

front view

close up of steering wheel hub and cluster - needs a little glue

engine bay - a bit cluttered

clean side

anjin aka Ian

GENONE

• CRX Obsessed
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1983 CRX (29th Build), 1991 CRX, 1984 CRX HKS Supercharged
    • Image Gallery
woohoo!!!
Posted Image
[GENONE] 1983 CRX Ballade Sports 1.5 SOHC Efi
[BANDIT] 1984 CRX Ballade Sports 1.6 DOHC HKS Supercharged
[SINISTR] 1991 CRX Si 1.6 DOHC Efi

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
^^^+1
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
thanks for the thumbs up.

Just for info - I intend to do a kind of retrospective on the swap after I've thought about it a bit more and collected my thoughts. Basically what I did, difficult and easy bits, what I would do differently. Some of it will be in detail, other bits in general terms.
anjin aka Ian

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
all done and registered.....you legend

so when you coming to sydney......... biggrin.gif
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
sad.gif I missed the pics before the site dropped and now have to wait until the gallery is fixed.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Passed inspection this morning. The first time through I got picked up on four items - the rear license plate lights had been painted over during a respray, the fuel tank filler cap was a push in rather than a screw on type, the pod filter had to be secured to the engine wall, and the hood pins had to be supplemented by a secondary latch. Increase in engine size - no problem but I should get a modification permit; replacing the wiring and dash - no comment; upgrading the brakes - no comment; replacing the seat with racing type seats, using a pod filter - should get a modification permit. So the things I was worried about passed, which was really good news.

The inspector picked it for a club racer - there is a RAZO handbrake that can be pinned - and then proceeded to explain that he did club racing, and hoped to see me around. Could not have been more helpful really. So I hope I'll see him - out of uniform - at some local hillclimbs and sprint type events.

BUT because I bought the body as an unregistered parts car, we didn't do a transfer of ownership. So I need to either do a statutory declaration of ownership and wait 21 days while they check it out, or meet up with the previous owner and do a delayed transfer of ownership. Doing that Sunday I hope, so Monday should be plates time.

Then its stage three - driving and setting up to how I want - suspension upgrades, fitting the camber adjustment plates, decent tyres.

But I did get to drive her a couple of times to and from the inspection office. Awesome ride compared to the stock EW5 - power everywhere. Can't wait to have the plates on and be on the road.
anjin aka Ian

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
QUOTE (anjin @ Nov 23 2007, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Passed inspection this morning. The first time through I got picked up on four items - the rear license plate lights had been painted over during a respray, the fuel tank filler cap was a push in rather than a screw on type, the pod filter had to be secured to the engine wall, and the hood pins had to be supplemented by a secondary latch. Increase in engine size - no problem but I should get a modification permit; replacing the wiring and dash - no comment; upgrading the brakes - no comment; replacing the seat with racing type seats, using a pod filter - should get a modification permit. So the things I was worried about passed, which was really good news.

The inspector picked it for a club racer - there is a RAZO handbrake that can be pinned - and then proceeded to explain that he did club racing, and hoped to see me around. Could not have been more helpful really. So I hope I'll see him - out of uniform - at some local hillclimbs and sprint type events.

BUT because I bought the body as an unregistered parts car, we didn't do a transfer of ownership. So I need to either do a statutory declaration of ownership and wait 21 days while they check it out, or meet up with the previous owner and do a delayed transfer of ownership. Doing that Sunday I hope, so Monday should be plates time.

Then its stage three - driving and setting up to how I want - suspension upgrades, fitting the camber adjustment plates, decent tyres.

But I did get to drive her a couple of times to and from the inspection office. Awesome ride compared to the stock EW5 - power everywhere. Can't wait to have the plates on and be on the road.

wow your my hero....well of the crx variety

im supprised that he was so nice (ive had a bad experience in the past) the 5 things that were wrong are just easy fixed just glad there simple fix things and not difficult biggrin.gif

hope you get to drive some more soon

btw take some video's when you get to drive her...or else tongue.gif

Edited by SHOGUNOVDDRK, 24 November 2007 - 08:00 AM.

QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Licensed and legal..

Yes, thats me behind the smile.
anjin aka Ian