Paint Over Rust....... Anyone Use It?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 99civic EX, 1995 fullsize extended cab.
    • Image Gallery
ive been seeing on a few shows where they use PAR paint over rust.......

they say you basicaly just knock off the loose rust and just brush this stuff ON which seals the rust and stops it from rusting any more and said be very hard when dry!

i would realy like to strip the whole underside my of crx and then painting it with this stuff all over the botom of the car after ive welded it in good!

problem is ive never seen in for sale localy....

anyone know where to buy it localy or online?

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That sounds just like naval jelly, plus autozone sells a kind in a spray can that turns the rust into black primer. You can also pick it up at walmart.(I think)
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
http://cgi.ebay.com/...P...TRK:MEWA:IT

this is the stuff im talking about. just found it on ebay. not a bad price for so much it should do the whole car. under and inside.....

id also use it on my trucks frame. cause i tried spraying it with undercoating when i had my bed off my truck and painting. BUT now its totaly worn off and rusting again sad.gif im very disapointed in that cause it was only last year!

as well as my roll pan. sad.gif stupid lip in the rear of it just collects water and holds it sad.gif so eventualy ill have to pull it off and strip it bear metal again and redue!

as long as my crapy rusty tips.LMFAO

Edited by addiction2bass, 13 April 2006 - 04:06 PM.

SilverRex-Bullet

• Nerd
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (badpenny @ Apr 13 2006, 03:59 PM)
That sounds just like naval jelly, plus autozone sells a kind in a spray can that turns the rust into black primer.  You can also pick it up at walmart.(I think)

wuts it called?.....i might go pick up a can or too b4 i move the dx out in to the yard....(gotta make room for new si when it comes smile.gif )

kakabox

• Turd Polisher
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: from point 'A' to point 'B' daily.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (addiction2bass @ Apr 13 2006, 01:46 PM)
ive been seeing on a few shows where they use PAR paint over rust.......

they say you basicaly just knock off the loose rust and just brush this stuff ON which seals the rust and stops it from rusting any more and said be very hard when dry!

i would realy like to strip the whole underside my of crx and then painting it with this stuff all over the botom of the car after ive welded it in good!

problem is ive never seen in for sale localy....

anyone know where to buy it localy or online?

Hey, why not check out one of rpr's advertisers (found this at the bottom of the rpr page): http://www.therustdoctor.com/

Edited by kakabox, 13 April 2006 - 07:05 PM.

pvbcrx

• I Love Jet Noise
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si (1986-2010), 1995 Dakota, 2001 325iT, 2009 Eos when my wife's away
I had pretty good results with Extend rust converter on my rusty '82 Wagovan. Extend is a Loctite product, but I imagine it, Rust Doctor, or any of the reputable brands probably all work the same. Best for hidden areas, like under rocker panels and behind fenders, because I don't think you're supposed to sand it.

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
i think i like the idea of the POR so far.... they says its suposed to "
POR-15 chemically bonds to rusted steel to form a rock-hard, non-porous coating that won't crack chip, or peel."

and ive heard its realy good stuff!

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I buy it from here http://www.por15.com/

I have purchased several of their "packages", or just a quart or two.

Although it can be sprayed on, be *very* careful to follow the precautions. I use disposable brushes.

If you get any on your skin, clean it off, or you will have it on until it wears off.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I've used it on a sunroof. Wear gloves. If you're doing the entire underside of a car, bring a body condom, and alot of money. Its expensive, at least where I got it.

I wanted to re-do the underside with something too, but now I'd just do problem areas with this, then something else for protection (undercoating).

strudel

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2009 AUDI TT 3.2L, Project Teg powered Austin Mini Van
    • Image Gallery
There are several such products on the market. Do some research first. Rust Bullet is another one similar to POR15. There are some sites that compare all the rust inhibitors if you search. JS

If you want one of these Logos send me a PM

aan.jpg

Austin Mini Van with DOHC Honda HP
http://www.angelfire.com/droid/strudel
Honda reliability and power combined with Mini cachet and style.

gkiing

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
I used POR 15 on my rust before fiberglassing it and painting. It's a bit expensive, but WORKS. The downside is it doesnt come off your hands until it wears off. I had people asking me for two week why my hands were stained black tongue.gif

IfTakumiDroveACRX

• Can't stop the greatness in motion....just you wait...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx Si two-tone black/grey, 72 Datsun 510 with an experimental rotary swap (the engine is a 12a and 13b hybrid), Infiniti G35 sedan on air suspension rolling on 19" G-Corp's Estatus wheels and various Garson/D.A.D accessories
    • Image Gallery
On my 85 I have some bad cancer spots developing in the front corners of the bottom pan, this sounds like it might be my answer to not wanting to cut and weld.... yet. blink.gif
user posted image
www.implicit-autosports.com - Proud Distributors of Monkeyz-Tek Performance Parts

addiction2bass

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
thiers nothing beter than cuting out the metal and welding in new steel.... this stuff wont hold the car together.LOL just seal it so it shouldnt rust
just to prevent any more rust and also last for a long time! that way either me OR if i sell it the car at least wont have to bad of rust problems.LOL

Sgt. Pepper

I have been using this:

Won't know how well it really works for a while, but I have heard good things about them. I am showing rust NO MERCY! Whatever I can't cut out and replace is getting this treatment.
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

DarkHand

I've used POR15 in the past, and I absolutely swear by it. It's darn expensive at about $120 a gallon, but you can buy it in small quantities, and it works. It's impervious to solvents, won't crack or chip, is flexible, and you'll never see rust again wherever you use it. Even if you manage to gouge some of it off, the metal will only rust in that exact spot... the rust cannot crawl or expand.

I'm planning on completely coating the underside and floorpans of my Civic with it once all the new metal is in. Every square inch of metal from the top of the rocker panels down will be covered.

Edited by DarkHand, 13 March 2007 - 04:17 PM.

DarkHand