• You cannot reply to this topic
7 replies to this topic

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Integta LS; 87 RT4WD (RIP)
    Garage View Garage

Been keeping myself busy with the wagon lately. I've been wanting, for a really long time, to redo my headliner with something...almost anything. The current light beige vinyl has been cracking all over and I've been getting tired of it. 

I for one, dislike removing interior body panels since I seem to always break the clips...but this week I decided to bite the bullet and just tear it all out. Prior, I searched long and hard to get a decent fabric that would match the interior of the car...which has light beige, some black, mostly dark brown plastic, and some caramel(ish) colored door cards. The first batch I ordered was a fleece type fabric in a brown plaid, but that was too light - now I've got a nice 15ft blanket...should have ordered a sample.

Next I ordered another fabric, without ordering a sample first...again :unsure:, but this is the one I ended up using. It's a nice plaid pattern that pulls in on all the colors and it looks great. Next I had to order some foam, since what was there before was foam backed. I didn't want to glue the material on top of the vinyl in fear that it would come off with the warm summers and cold winters we get up here in Northern Ontario - making the vinyl expand and shrink. I found this great foam online that I special ordered to have an adhesive backing http://www.foamforyo...volara_foam.htm. Before ripping everything out of the car i stuck my fabric to the adhesive backing on the foam - now I've got a sheet ready to go. 

IMG_00001142.jpg

After removing the headliner I scraped everything off the headliner board - which is pretty much just a molded cardboard.

IMG_00001133.jpg

We used spray on contact cement to get the foam onto the headliner board, although, knowing what I know now, I would have looked into getting an adhesive baking on both sides of the foam since it seems to hold really well. Only time will tell.

While I was at it, I pulled the blue fabric off the privacy cover and recovered it with a layer of foam and fabric much like the head liner. I also threw in some 5 1/4" speakers which take less space than the 2 6x9 in boxes I had in the hatch.

IMG_00001134.jpg

IMG_00001135.jpg

There was honestly nothing wrong with the privacy cover, only that it was blue, and I didn't like it lol :D

I also painted the visible areas of the privacy cover sides to a black, so that it would blend in better than the current blue.

IMG_00001146.jpg

Holes were cut out for the speakers after all the fabric was applied

IMG_00001152.jpg

And finally, the finished product  :D

IMG_00001159.jpgIMG_00001154.jpg

And next I should have enough fabric to do some sections of the door cards :) , but that's for another day :P

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage

Wow that came out awesome

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

Wow, great work!! 

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Smokescreem

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI ,2004 CRV EX, 1968 VW BUG, 1955 Porsche Speedster replica
    Garage View Garage

Great Work !   !   !

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Thanks! Made a matching shift boot...will post a pic when I take one.

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Here it is...could use a little ironing <_<

shift+boot2.jpgshift+boot.jpg

I don't have the inner rubber shift boot...I think it would help hold it up better. If any one has one kicking around for sale they wouldn't mind shipping, I'm interested!

Edited by loiselle.m, 02 October 2013 - 10:42 PM.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Hahahaa. That is AWESOME! 

1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

loiselle.m

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Update: I parked the car late in November last year (pending D16a1 swap) and just pulled it into the garage this month. So the car sat outside in temperatures ranging -40C to +40C and I'm happy to report no drooping in the fabric! I'm quite impressed that the adhesive that came with the foam and the contact cement are holding up so well! I would definitely recommend this process to anyone!