• You cannot reply to this topic
61 replies to this topic

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Long story short, I have access to a 86 Integra ECU. Because it is pre-88 the motors are both vaccume advanced and share most of the same properties as our lively little EW's. I've heard of, in the past, guys running this ECU in their EW powered cars with no harm being done to the EW's sensors etc... Basically I only know that the teg. ECU has a higher redline (slightly) than that of the EW and maaaaaaybe a slightly different fuel map? I just wanted to clear up any and all if's and's or but's from those in the "know" before I strap on this brain to my baby and drive off into the sunset. lol

I also want to be absolutely sure that NO dammage will be done. I know that the car will not be hurt, but I also can't have the ECU fry up due to miss-communication with a ground wire 500 miles from home; this is my DD.

Also, I would like to know what the advantages are? The higher redline is all I know of, what exactly is it? 7K? That's fine and good but it does feel like the power has hit a plateau before the redline it already has, does it even need the extra rev? Anything different in fuel delivery? etc etc etc...

Basically, I baby this car; but I can't miss the occasional freeway on ramp to enjoy the sound of my healthy SOHC through at least second gear. And if my other CRX is not done by next spring I plan on letting this one see a bit of AutoX time as I cant stand it any longer. lol So I will pop in this ECU if there are advantages to be had.

Thanks peppers!!!

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
I drove around with one for a while, but all i can tell you is that it it runs more rich
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
too rich?

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Old School REX @ Oct 10 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
too rich?

Yes, too rich.

I know there are guys on this site who will swear that the 'teg ECU is a good addition but from my own empirical testing I can tell you that the stock ECU actually a better choice.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Good to know! Thanks for the info Scott! I will probably hook it up just to see how it runs for myself down the road and back; I'm a curious mechanic and already have the ECU so... lol

I'm just looking for other ways to maximize the EW's performance without cracking the motor open. It already has a stage 1 cam in it, and I don't think I would want a bigger one as I think it would effect driveability. It has Mugen headers and a full street exhaust with flowmaster high flow cat, resonator, and muffler. Lightspeed racing intake and a "ported" throttle body. Its just smoothed on the outside where the intake meets the unit.

All the maintenance items have been replaced such as the entire ignition system and fuel system.

I know your all about maximizing the EW Scott. Have any suggestions? I wish I had an RC eng. throttle body like yours, I wonder what another tb option would be. A buddy of mine made an adapter plate for a late model D series tb before. I don't know if it made any gains. And yes before you ask, the cam timing is dead on! wink.gif

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
There was an article where this was tested in a magazine. I'm too lazy to dig it up.. It was tested and it did make more power at higher RPM's but was a little laggy under 3K.. I had one in a very modded EW for about 2 years with no ill effects. I had milled head, cams, full msd, header exhaust intake, integra injectors and ecu, msd fuel pump , fpr etc.. Did it make more power? Who knows.

I really have to spend $40 one day and bust this myth on the dyno so the question can be eliminated... I have a fully stock 86 si in my driveway (don't ask. it literally was dumped in my driveway), as soon as I get a new tranny in it I'll probably do it along with some other comparisons. I just need to get more important crap out of the way first.

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
I threw one in mine once and it ran like shit
Build Thread- Here

Dobajara

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '86 Hydra CRX Si, 2007 Civic EX (DD)
So is that a teg ecu with a stock ew head or with a DOHC head?

DEIVIONCRX

• Demon Of All Trades
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 88 Civic DX, 90 CRX DX, 80 Trans Am, 10 Fit Sport
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
What you could do is throw the ECU in, then get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and/or a piggyback ecu like a VAFC and tune the fuel down. That would give you the higher redline, and allow you to tune it somewhat efficiently.
Posted Image

TribalHatch

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CiviC SI
ive done this in 2 of my ew motors why because its better for freeway pickup, yes its lil laggy below 3k rpm and yes its rich to where it will throw a code for O2 sensor at times. and when putting it in u will have to adjust ur idle again. i used it because it made the car run more free. thats my input on this. thats has been my experianace and a few of my friends.

i would rather jus use the stock ecu on street and when running about 4.5k rpms on Track id use it

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
That was my initial idea, but I don't trust my butt-o-meter for such tuning. And could a FPR even safely tune out that much fuel without starving the motor at high RPM's? I want to get a wideband O2... But they are so pricey! And what would I even do with it? lol our ECU's can't be tuned.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The second Si hatch I bought came with an Integra ECU. It didn't run that good. Put a stock ECU in and it is better. I was getting a lot of heat from the cat like it was partly clogged. After several months on the stock it cleared up. My engine is all stock, maybe on an engine with several updates it can run better with the Integra ECU.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I just wonder what the A/F ratio would look like with one in. With my mods anyway, I wonder if the airflow additives I have could cause enough of a lean condition to warrant the additional fuel?

Oh yeah, and Scott if you're still reading this I'm going to PM you soon, I'm wanting to pull the trigger on some dizzy springs. smile.gif

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
So I put the ECU in tonigh and let it idle for forever while I fixed my screwy dome light... Took it for a cruise and just enjoyed the night air for a bit. Then hit the on ramps. Funny thing is it drives JUST like my lady's Miata in the fact that it hessitates below X RPM's and then just BOOM takes off after X RPM's. Like the ignition timming or fuel map is optimized at that majic RPM. For the CRX, it has almost NO power from idle to 3800RPM, then right at 3900 it just TAKES off. This presents the illusion of more power, but I don't really think there is more there. But then you let it rev out, and I did get a bit squeemish taking my precious EW to 7500 RPM's!! (I rarely ever even went to 6800 because I just felt like there was no power there anyway. The same was true with this. It felt lively-er in the 4500-6000 range, but after that it felt the same as before and from 7000 to the 7500 or so rev-limit it didn't "loose" power, but it was a definate plateau.

Over all I am actually pleased with the results, and I managed to hit a higher speed at the end of my daily on ramp than ever before. Now if this was because of more power or being able to stay in the short gears (1-3) longer due to the higher rev-limit I don't know. But either way I think I'll drive on it for a while just to see what all it has to offer in a DD situation, but ultimately I think I will remove it as the lack of low end power has me slipping the clutch more at redlights and reving out each gear more just to keep with the flow of our crazy traffic as it merges onto Super Speedway 40 West. laugh.gif

Thanks for all the advice and if you have any other power tips to add feel free to do so! In the near future I plan to add a FPR and hook it up to a wideband (even if I just borrow a buddies lol) to see what's really going on. Maybe next summer I'll throw her on the rollers to see what my EW with all its sweet aftermarket goodies is really bringing to the table. I kinda already set up a dyno date with a guy I recently met. So we'll see how that goes.

Take it easy
-Cameron

KSousa

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1986 integra LS
I have been running a teg ecu for a couple of years now. Im happy with it. On a stock engine its probably not going to do much, but if you have a modified engine with a more aggressive cam the higher redline is an obvious advantage. Mine does throw a code every few months, but I just turn the engine off for a second and then just turn the key again while driving in gear and the code goes away. And it only happens before the engine warms up.
Check out my build!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=48435
custom extended fiberglass rear spoiler that wont develop rust bumps and weighs half as much as oem!http://www.redpepper...showtopic=55523
Tired of replacing/fixing your brittle plastic fenders? Wihttp://www.redpepper...showtopic=55674