Ek1 Power!

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

cvcc_wagon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1983 Civic Wagon 1.8l w/ sidrdraft Webers
    • Image Gallery
well i've finally finished my EK1 swap into my 83 civic wagon. for those of you who haven't seen any of my other posts regarding it here is the recap:
    1983 Civic Wagon
    1.8l (1751cc) EK1 Block (honed and rebuilt)
    non-CVCC EL1 head (off canadian 1.6l motor)
    port & polish with 3 angle valve grind, deck shaved 20 thousandths
    272º cam (medium grind, 260º stock)
    14lb flywheel
    Dual sidedraft Weber DCOE40 carbs on custom manifold
    4-2-1 F-series header adapted to fit
    2.25" exhaust w/free flow muffler, no cat.

the swap was not without it's headaches, i ran into many problems and even faced the possibility that i fried the new rings on initial start up. luckily that was not the case as i have put about 600 miles on it and the compression tested above stock. another one of the annoying problems was losing power on the highway after 10 minutes of driving, turned out to be a clogged fuel filter, runs fine now. i still have an alternator issue to deal with and i have to find some time to remove the brake booster (requires removing drivers side carb) so that i can run a proper set of filters (looks like no more power brakes!) the engine is performing nicely but will be needing larger main jets to regain the top end of my power band. good bye good gas mileage, i have been averaging 21mpg this last 2 weeks ohmy.gif
here is a pic of the new red beast. for those who are curious, the gage is a fuel pressure gage to make sure my pressure regulator is performing properly, it's correct more or less but has some funny tendencies.

-Andrew Smit-
now the non-cvcc_wagon
mail to: smit_andrew (at) hotmail (dot) com
user posted image

-->Updated Honda Engine List Here<--

Mmmm... Webers

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Awesome! Do you have any pics of the outside of the car?

DSMTimeline.jpg

cvcc_wagon

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
this would be the most recent from the Oct. 17 BC meet , but i've got 14" CRX si wheels now, the 4 hole ones. they actually suite the car pretty well.

-Andrew Smit-
now the non-cvcc_wagon
user posted image

Mmmm... Webers

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
beautiful.. now how about some dyno numbers?
chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Now THAT is old skool cool!
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
man. i love old stuff. heheheee. mad props dude.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

grjr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 82 civic and others
hi, I saw your cross post on civic1200.com and I thought that your work was pretty impressive. Nice job on the swap and putting those side draft carbs on. How does it compare to the original engine? I have an 82 civic wagon that I've done a lot of work on too but no cool mods for me since I'm in CA sad.gif

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Good job man, i love those cvcc's and diy stuff.

Julian

dnocrx

• www.wirednj.com
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 crx zc boosted
nice job...what do you expect out of it performance wise?
RUN YOUR CAR NOT YOUR MOUTH

grjr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 82 civic and others
Also, looking closer at your pics I saw that you don't have your vaccum advance for the distributor hooked up... that can be robbing you of power and gas mileage. It needs to be hooked up, but you'll probably have to play with the orifice size that you hook it up to to get the right amount of advance

cvcc_wagon

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (C_piddy Posted)
beautiful.. now how about some dyno numbers?
chris

when i get it tuned right i'll have eldo hook me up with the dyno in his neighborhood, right eldo wink.gif

QUOTE (grjr @ Dec 21 2004, 08:13 AM)
hi, I saw your cross post on civic1200.com and I thought that your work was pretty impressive. Nice job on the swap and putting those side draft carbs on. How does it compare to the original engine? I have an 82 civic wagon that I've done a lot of work on too but no cool mods for me since I'm in CA sad.gif

well it pulls a lot harder then the original motor but the carbs need larger main jets (i knew this ahead of time but i figured breaking in the motor on a lean set up was better then risking too rich and burning up the rings) so it's topping out at about 95mph right now, i could push it higher and probably will but you gotta remember it's still an 83 civic wagon, not exactly built for high speeds, and one of the front tires is a little unbalanced so it vibrates a lot.
as for no cool mods, this car is originally a CA car so i had the same EM1 engine as you...you poor bastard, emissions crap coming out if your...well you get the point. the 2 best mods i did to my EM1 was to cut the outer edge off the air cleaner lid so it draws air from the full circle outside the filter, and i put 2.25" exhaust on it with no cat and the same free flow muffler i have now. you won't be able to get away with no cat but you can get a high flow cat, if i did the exhaust again i would have gone with 2" as i lost some bottom end with the 2.25" and it's probably what i'm going to with the EK now.

QUOTE (grjr)
Also, looking closer at your pics I saw that you don't have your vaccum advance for the distributor hooked up... that can be robbing you of power and gas mileage. It needs to be hooked up, but you'll probably have to play with the orifice size that you hook it up to to get the right amount of advance

for now i'm going to leave the vacuum as is, form the asking around i've done the only thing i will lose is gas mileage, it shouldn't affect performance. besides there is no vacuum line to hook it up to, it requires a line that does not draw at idle. i may eventually work some sort of valve that works with the throttle cable
-Andrew Smit-
now the non-cvcc_wagon
user posted image

Mmmm... Webers

cvcc_wagon

• PipPip
    • Image Gallery
got some larger main and idle jets today, let's see if i can make this thing rev up a little more on the highway.
-Andrew Smit-
now the non-cvcc_wagon
user posted image

Mmmm... Webers

nivek2002

NICE!

Love the manifold!

Kevin

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
man that is so sweet makes the 1g crx or the 3g civic look silly...anyway man great job on the engine and i wanna see the numbers on that car...qt times, horsepower to the wheels and everything

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Perfect sleeper.....

You must race some 16yr old in his 4g Civic and give him a peice of old school honda muscle.
I have nothing...