Concours Restoration: 1987 Crx 1st Gen 25,662 Miles

• You cannot reply to this topic
193 replies to this topic

DarkHand

Is that a Honda record in the media kit??

I didn't even know that kit existed. Good luck on an awesome build!
DarkHand

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2018 Contributor
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
Kinda of funny. A cheap flimsy disc you'd get in a McDonald's happy meal. Its a 45rpm radio spot that the dealerwould take to the local station and input their own wording over the Honda music. I think there's a 30s and 60s spot. I've never listened to it. But curious someday.

D
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 9 crx's: #1 228k 87si beater, #2 concours 25K, #3 108K 87si, #4 98K parts car, #5 213K 87si parts car, #6 84 straman, #7 86si 150k #8 67k parts #9 129K si for straman conversion
The Good, the bad and the ugly. Went to fire her up today (been 9months) And to pull off the exhaust before I rust it out.

NOS exhaust I put on in 2004??? Notice how shiney the inside of the pipe is.

Joint. I shook out about 3 ounces of water after running only 5minutes. I pulled the entire system including the cat. Not point in piling H2O in there. Can't get this stuff anymore

Passenger rear

Rear bumper bracket. Long Island salt was not kind

Driver's rear

Passenger pan. Got a little rust at the joint

Drivers pan. A bit more.

I've not looked over this thing for rust since I bought it in 96 (painted same year)
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Infamouts seat shots. Now I've not vacuumed or wiped this car out since 2004. I've never steamclened or treated the materails or plastics other than using Fantastic.

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Foot pedals. Newspaper is dated 2003. Been using it as a mat and kept a towel over the seats.

I put the front radiator sheild in the trunk after I changed out the coolant last year. Notice thecarpet fabric lines around the fire extinguisher.

Passenger carpet has still retained its texture and hasn't gotton fuzzed out yet. No wear marks. I've got to check w/ some people before I steamclean. You can still see the fabric lines in the carpet.

I always keep extinguishers in my cars - just in case BP comes over!!

So this car has only been painted. I guess the interrior is not as faded as I had remembered
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
So the engine compartment has never been cleaned. I guess I put cheap autozone plug wires on in back in 96 so save some pennies. She's a bit dirty.

They painted my bolts!!!! Fenders in perfect shape

A tiny crack on the bolt nearest the header

Hood lines up pretty well. Since the carfax stated accident in 92. That explains the new hood (no label underneath)

Header is a little close to the hood. Could be a problem here, orjust alignment

I got the registration and inspetion in 2004. Its a $250fine if I get cuaght driving w/either of those expired. So that's a $500 ticket if I put it on the road like that.

The a/c button is perfect. I'm glad b/c I was too last to get one, whew!! More money to spend...

Another rear shot
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Notice the cobwebs around the exhaust pipe and springs.

Around 99,after being in tx for a year, I put this clear plastic down on the concrete to keep moisture from coming up. So every time Im walk on it, or touch w/my hands, I put dusty foot and hand prints on everything.

I'll have to get pix of the jacks as well. I've pick up 3 extra honda siccor jacks from junkyards over the years and use them to lift the cars off the ground just enough to keep the tires touching. Tires are so old, they go flap pretty quick.

Here's a shot of the front, under the lip. I quess the front end repairs weren't done by Honda. The original 11special lip bolts arenot there. The shop screwed in sheet metal screws from the looks of it.

So I bought my first rex (beater) in 93. Then got this in 96. I didn't know this until a carfax years later, but my beater was a salvage title. Front end must have been smashed b/c the lip and and all the cowlings were not there. So when I peeked under this one and saw what to me looked like all new parts I'd never seen before, I had no idea to question any accident. Those are the small things that disappear every time you catch acurb or fallen ladder on the highway.

Lesson learned, always pull a car fax
Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Got some more history on my car today from HOnda. My buddy pulled my VIN a while back when I did the carfax and forgot to send it to me.

So HOnda says my 87si was sold on 8/18/87. Had 5miles on it when sold in Long Island. Never been in for service or warranty since.

Has open recall for seatbelts (don't we all)

Lists me as owner.

I'll post the document when I get it.

Keepin' it OEM

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Here's the exhaust set up. Picked up NOS mufflers back in 2002. Looked for them recently and they are long gone. So I pulled 2 off my cars before they rust out.

The components I"m posting at this stage in the game are the sets I have complete (or don't have plans to obtain other NOS parts. And sections that don't need a lot of refurbishing. Planning plug n play w a little polishing).

Tearing down the body and refinishing will be a bitch of the job....

Keepin' it OEM

OG Wagon

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 Crx Si
insane attention to detail. Keep it up!

WagoCats HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 06 Honda CRV , 08 Honda Fit Sport , 86 CRX Si
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 23 2009, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Infamouts seat shots. Now I've not vacuumed or wiped this car out since 2004. I've never steamclened or treated the materails or plastics other than using Fantastic.

Just a word of advise. I would only use Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer for cleaning the inside of your CRX. This is a really good product that cleans good but is very gentile and safe for plastic, vinyl, leather, rubber, and even audio equipment. Very easy to use, just spray a little on the surface and wipe or buff with a microfiber cloth. I am a detailer and have used tons of products over the years. This is by far the best stuff that I have ever used! It leaves no slippery film, just makes things look clean and new again. You can get it at Wal Mart, any auto parts store or Auto Geek . net. I share this with you to help you keep this CRX looking new for many years to come. Have fun!

Jay V.

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Nov 23 2009, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the engine compartment has never been cleaned. I guess I put cheap autozone plug wires on in back in 96 so save some pennies. She's a bit dirty.

They painted my bolts!!!! Fenders in perfect shape

A tiny crack on the bolt nearest the header

Hood lines up pretty well. Since the carfax stated accident in 92. That explains the new hood (no label underneath)

Header is a little close to the hood. Could be a problem here, orjust alignment

I got the registration and inspetion in 2004. Its a $250fine if I get cuaght driving w/either of those expired. So that's a $500 ticket if I put it on the road like that.

The a/c button is perfect. I'm glad b/c I was too last to get one, whew!! More money to spend...

Another rear shot
Here is another good tip. Use a little detail brush made of horse hair for all the nooks, cracks, vents and hard to reach places. Then use compressed air in the same places to really get all the dirt and junk out of there
This brush will not scratch and works nice. Autogeek.net has these detail brushes for around $12.00.

Jay V.

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Dec 4 2009, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the exhaust set up. Picked up NOS mufflers back in 2002. Looked for them recently and they are long gone. So I pulled 2 off my cars before they rust out.

The components I"m posting at this stage in the game are the sets I have complete (or don't have plans to obtain other NOS parts. And sections that don't need a lot of refurbishing. Planning plug n play w a little polishing).

Tearing down the body and refinishing will be a bitch of the job....

A really good way to clean most of the light rust off the exhaust system is to soda blast it. Just buy a little hand held sand blaster at Harbor Frieght for under $20. If you don't have one of these stores around you, Ebay has them to. Pick up a 10 lbs bag of regular backing soda at the store and poor it in your little sand blaster. You will need a 15 gal air compressor for this method to work. A larger compressor works even better. You will be amazed how well backing soda cleans plated metal, nuts, bolts, washers, chrome and it will strip paint also, so be carefull around painted areas. This method is " green " and is not harmfull to breath. I am rebuilding my front and rear suspension on my 87 CRX and soda blasting has worked really great for me. I even used it to clean my undercarage to prep for paint and undercoating. When you are done soda blasting everything, just rinse with water from a water hose nozall. Good luck.

Jay V.

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
THnx for the tip Jay. Got the compressor, but need to pick up a blaster. So this is just regular baking soda that you cook w/? So its like a powder blast? I was concerned about using regular blasting sand and dulling the finish of the metals.

I think the exhuaust and brake discs are the only non-coated metals.

What about on aluminum? I'll need to clean 22yrs of crap off the engine and components. The starters and alts I've got are remans. So I plan to disassemble the originals, clean the casings and reinstall the reman inners

Dave
Keepin' it OEM

Jayscrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's @ Dec 5 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THnx for the tip Jay. Got the compressor, but need to pick up a blaster. So this is just regular baking soda that you cook w/? So its like a powder blast? I was concerned about using regular blasting sand and dulling the finish of the metals.

I think the exhuaust and brake discs are the only non-coated metals.

What about on aluminum? I'll need to clean 22yrs of crap off the engine and components. The starters and alts I've got are remans. So I plan to disassemble the originals, clean the casings and reinstall the reman inners

Dave

It does work on aluminum to. I did a little test spot on the transmision and it looks awsome. I belive the transmision cases are cast, and soda blasting works awsome on cast aluminum as long as it's not polished. Billet aluminum might be a different story. I would think that it would dull it. So it works very well on the transmision cases and the engine block as well. It works on the aluminum head, valve seats, valves, cams, combustion camber, inside of the valve cover and is safe to use on rubber seals. Soda blasting just really cleans well and helps to bring back the brand new look of many different parts. I have only tried backing soda that is used for cooking. There is backing soda that is made for soda blasting that comes in different grits. Harbor Freight sells it for around $35 a 50lbs bag I belive. I belive this stuff is made for stripping paint off of metal, but I might be wrong on that. The last bag of backing soda that I bought was at Costco for around $4.00. It was Armon Hammer backing soda in a 13lbs bag. This brand is very good with no clumping , this is a good thing! I would only use sand for very rusty steel, like rotors and drums to prep for paint. Backing soda is safe on the cars body-sheet metal because it will not warp it like sand blasting could do.

Jay V.