Is This Possible? (without Flipping The Car)

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
Jus wondering that if say I saw a deer leap into my direct path while I'm doing 45-55 mph one night if it was possible to simultaneously floor the brakes and e-brake while whipping the steering wheel hardcore left (no oncoming traffic BTW) and thus sideswiping the deer instead of it obliterating the front end and all that is 'important'.....am I crazy? Possibly but a recent dream had me doing this exact thing and the car didn't flip, jus screwed up my door/fender.....then came the "Tommy Boy" scene where the deer wakes up and destroys the car from the inside out...yeah it sucked. Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Ive done something like this in a wet parking lot with bald tiger palls, def. not something i could really control. Its fun as heck though. IM sure with sticky tires you'd mess something up, id be pimp as hell if you could pull it off though.

joseph

Gumby

• Your Daddy
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 Civic HB 1500S 83 Bronco
yea it's possible as long as ur tires are skiding and don't grab traction as you go sideways your find but once they grab traction your either gonna land on your roof or rip a tire off the rim
i can do a quick 180 turn on a 2way street /w the e-brake when it's wet................ don't have the balls or the money to try dry
user posted image

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
In the amount of time that the deer jumps out, most likely you won't be able to do that. Most people's reactions is to brake, but if you saw it coming down the road, and had time to think, but not enough to stop, you could do that no problem, you would be surprised how well these cars slide....

You would definately need to slow from 45mph, down to about 30 or so, but if you were flooring the brakes, I can see that as very do-able.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

bigk3000

• 1337 5h17
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic Hatch 1500 S with D16A1 blacktop
    • Image Gallery
my freind has a chevette with the same stock rims and tires as the civic, and about the same width and weight f the civic, he was doing 160km/h on the hiway and a van cut him off causing him to skid and start slidding sidewyas on dry ground

he said he could feel the pass side lifting up and he was goign sideways at about 70-80km's at that point..

he couldnt tell if he shit his pants or not
EXPLOSIVO!
84 Civic Hatchback 1500S-w/ d16 blacktop :P
86 Nissan 300zx GLL

user posted image

SportInjectedClub
user posted image

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
turn and gas around the deer.

Vandemar

• moved on to bigger engines
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '17 Chev SS (Commodore)
Grabbing the ebrake in that situation would be pointless- if you manage to toss it sideways and floor the brakes, all 4 tires will be locked, and the car should go more or less straight. That said, you'll stop faster going straight with proper threshold braking than you will sliding with the tires locked, sideways or not- you'll tend to overheat the little section of tire that's touching the road, which means it won't grab much as you're sliding along.

I'd vote for a gas+swerve in that situation. Lifting/braking and swerving will just make you spin anyway.

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, on a loose or wet surface an e-brake induced spin might be the best bet if steering out of it's not an option.

But on grippy stuff I'd slow as much as possible without locking (or I'd like to think so smile.gif ) and turn as late as possible (in the hope you can lose enough speed to turn the car without skidding, or at least as controlable skidding as possible...).

Autocrossing helps hone these skills.... smile.gif

No really... it does...

Tommy Reynolds

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 99 Miata (SCCA CSP), 87 CRX Si (Daily Driver)
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (UltimX @ Apr 23 2004, 12:20 AM)
turn and gas around the deer.

Hehe - apexing a deer, I love it laugh.gif . Just remember to attack the backside of the deer. A +1 run around a deer will be expensive.

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
don't try it man, you could lose control and leave the road.

as immobile and damaging as a deer is, a tree is even MORE immobile and damaging.

a car is not worth risking your life over.

the key to avoiding deer is KNOWING WHERE THEY HANG OUT.

honk the horn a lot through those areas, you may startle the deer and keep them from crossing the road while you are coming.

i used to downshift 2 gears (50mph in 2nd or 3rd gear) and wind the hell out of the engine and honk the horn through the hot spots to keep the deer from jumping in front of me. deer, like other forrest animals don't like obnoxious noise.

just get a fart can exhaust! biggrin.gif
Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
You won't ever see the deer you hit. You might see one cross ahead of it, but those damn things can run and jump pretty fast. On second your driving along, next thing you know you're looking at your hood and your left arm is covered in hot deer shit. I used to worry about trying to keep alert enough to react to a deer, but, there's really no point in it.

-Chris

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (EPcivic @ Apr 23 2004, 06:30 PM)
You won't ever see the deer you hit.  You might see one cross ahead of it, but those damn things can run and jump pretty fast.  On second your driving along,  next thing you know you're looking at your hood and your left arm is covered in hot deer shit.  I used to worry about trying to keep alert enough to react to a deer, but, there's really no point in it.

-Chris

wrong. you can see them well before you hit them. you just need to know to scan the sides of the road. their eyes will shine from the headlights.

i've seen plenty of dear well before they got into the road and was going slow enough by the time i got there to be able to pass by the area safely.

also, if you travel a stretch of road frequently enough, you will eventually learn where the deer "hang out"

you will also learn the types of places they like to, and will be able to anticipate places they will be.
Shawn
--------

nivek2002

If your worried about hitting a deer get a truck with a huge grill gaurd. The one time your not paying attention is when a deer will jump out and you wont know what hit you. NEVER try to avoid hitting the deer by swerving, most people who die from deer are because the ran off the road, not from the actual deer (not saying its impossible). Another tip is when braking to avoid a deer let off the brakes a little right before you hit him. The dive of the front end of the vehicle will just help the deer roll up onto the windshield putting your face in more danger. Good luck and hope no one ever hits one!

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
QUOTE (shadowboy @ Apr 23 2004, 10:44 PM)
wrong.  you can see them well before you hit them.  you just need to know to scan the sides of the road. their eyes will shine from the headlights.

i've seen plenty of dear well before they got into the road and was going slow enough by the time i got there to be able to pass by the area safely.

also, if you travel a stretch of road frequently enough, you will eventually learn where the deer "hang out"

you will also learn the types of places they like to, and will be able to anticipate places they will be.

I agree completely that you can spot lots of deer on the side of the road, and learn where they like to cross the road and hang out at. I lived in rural south Alabama for 5 years, believe me, I've seen hundreds if not thousands of deer on the side of the road at night. What I'm saying is that the deer that you actually hit is very unlikely to ever be in you line of sight. The ones you catch in your headlights you have time to react to. It's the ones that are running full speed and are closer than your normal field of vision before they even get out of the woods or into your headlights. I've seen deer run straight into the door of a car going 50mph (the car, not the deer) before, and do serious damage. If you ask people who hae actually hit a deer, I'd be most of them never saw the deer, or didn't even have enough time to get their foot from the gas to the brake.

-Chris

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
yes, but again, that points to the being more cautious thing.

in about 8 years of driving in upstate NY, i NEVER hit a deer. my mother hit 3.

i've had close calls, but there was never deer-to-integra contact.

Edited by shadowboy, 24 April 2004 - 08:17 AM.

Shawn
--------