• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

blackcalvin777

• Rockin' it Old School
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX DX w/ SI Engine Swap
    • Image Gallery
I was looking a purchasing a 1984 CRX with fried pistion rings. Instead of rebuilding the engine, I was looking at a reasonable upgrade. I looked on www.hmotorsonline.com and saw a B16A engine for sale for $1250. I would like to know if the engine I found would swap out with the carb. engine in the 84' CRX. If this would work, I was also wondering were I could find the proper engine mounts to accomplish such a feat. Anyones help is greatly appreciated!
1984 CRX DX - TOTALED
1986 CRX w/ B16 Swap - SOLD
1985 CRX DX (w/ SI Engine Conversion) - Daily Driver

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
wow. more and more people are getting the bug for a B series.

Yes it will fit. You will need some custom mounts from either Hasport or Placeracing. I have the Hasport and they work great. I have no experience with the Placeracing setup.
You will need axles from Hasport also. I don't know if Placeracing makes them.

In your case, you will need the complete wiring harness from a fuel injected crx si.
You will also need the fuel tank, pump and lines from that car as well.

It is do-able but it is going to be a lot of work. I am going to be redoing my swap from a fuel injected (rusty) crx to a carbed rust free crx in the spring.

I know that Hasport has quite a bit of info on their site regarding this swap.
twitter: @lylehatton

EF9 VTEC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 B16A powered CRX, 1991 B16A powered Integra
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (87sivtec @ Nov 28 2003, 04:32 AM)
wow.  more and more people are getting the bug for a B series.

Yes it will fit.  You will need some custom mounts from either Hasport or Placeracing.  I have the Hasport and they work great.  I have no experience with the Placeracing setup.
You will need axles from Hasport also.  I don't know if Placeracing makes them.

In your case, you will need the complete wiring harness from a fuel injected crx si.
You will also need the fuel tank, pump and lines from that car as well.

It is do-able but it is going to be a lot of work.  I am going to be redoing my swap from a fuel injected (rusty) crx to a carbed rust free crx in the spring.

I know that Hasport has quite a bit of info on their site regarding this swap.

87sivtec Is right. You need all the mods he said.

Good luck with your project
87 B16A Powered CRX

user posted image

ghooge2003

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx-carb'd, 2001 chevy s-10 show truck
i have also heard that if you e-mail the guys at: JdmShit.com that they can possibly get you mounts for cheaper than place racing but the quality of hasport, i have never dealt with them and dont know for sure but i know they are custom making mounts to put b16,b18 and h22 engines in other honda's and my buddy just had them make mounts to put the h22 into a del slow and he had to email them and they made them for him. just an other option to look into.

CSPCRX

You dont need to change the fuel tank just the fuel pickup. I would get a new one from the dealer. You also dont need to swap fuel lines. Run a steel breaded line from the pump to a filter in the engine compartment. Then use the larger factory feed line as your return. Saves a lot of time. Did this when I converted my 84 to FI. Check out my web site for details on converting to FI. Good luck.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I like the braided line idea. It would save a whole lot of time.
I saw your dyno charts. I do have question though. When you added the pulley, manifold and flywheel, why did the power drop so much at the top end? Did you end up tuning it much, or is that just bolt on and go? Is your engine the 170 hp version?

CRXdan

so you keep the 85-87 Si harness????
The ecu plugs in? I dont get it...
I was just wondering this because I read somewhere to Install a d16y8 into a 1g you use an 86-89 integra tranny, mounts, axles, 86-87 ecu but keep the 84-87 harness.
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
I used most of the harness from the 87 crx si. The OBD0 ecu's for the B16 have the same style plugs and a lot of the wires are in the same positions. I had to add a few and move a few, but otherwise not too bad.
The injector clips are slightly different, but minor trimming of the plastic and they went on like they were meant to be there. Remember though, I am using an OBD1 engine. Things are slightly different. I am using an OBD0 ecu and distributor though. I wish I could have got the OBD1 setup instead, but I couldn't turn down the deal I was given.

LargeOrangeFont

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Damn good idea about the line. I was wondering if that would work earlier today. So I can use the stock HF tank on my Si conversion? Why does everyone say different?
Ashley

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Very good question. I would like to know also. I have an si tank as well, but it would be nice if I didn't have to change as much.
I do know the hf tank is smaller though.

crxjedi

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 87 crx-00 hoe
87sivtec-
I'm getting ready to do my b16 swap on my 87 si rex....
any advice? what year/make shift linkage do I need?

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
You are recommended by hasport to use the 86-89 integra linkage. So that's what I did. You have to lengthen them though.
Advice: Take your time and check everything 3 times. Be extra attentive to your wiring- that will be the most frustrating area if you rush it.
What year of engine are you installing?

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (87sivtec @ Nov 30 2003, 02:29 AM)
Very good question.  I would like to know also.  I have an si tank as well, but it would be nice if I didn't have to change as much.
I do know the hf tank is smaller though.

The SI in-tank fuel pickup assembly has large inlets and outlets than the DX/HF, so you have to change the pickup at the very least, or the whole tank if you want a larger tank as well.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

EF9 VTEC

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 B16A powered CRX, 1991 B16A powered Integra
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crxjedi @ Nov 30 2003, 07:36 AM)
87sivtec-
I'm getting ready to do my b16 swap on my 87 si rex....
any advice? what year/make shift linkage do I need?

In my case I used the stock CRX shift linkage.
At one side I welded a long screw, and in the other side I welded a nut. I did this with both sides of the shift linkage. This setup let me adjust it just by turning one end of the shift linkage.
87 B16A Powered CRX

user posted image

CSPCRX

87SIVTEC,
I am running a 1st gen motor which is 160hp motor stock. The reason the power dropped off is a result of air velocity. When I just added the skunk2 cams the motor made 12 wheel hp more, 162 at the wheels. The guys at skunk2 thought the increase was strong since the motor was at its stock 10.2:1 compression. Skunk says these cams really need no less then 11:1 compression to really make power. I added the pulley and picked up a couple of hp and some torque, more torque then hp. But when I went to the big Edelbrock plenum and TB the power just died up top. We were supprised since this setup is supposed to make big power 7k and up. The problem is the low compression. The motor just doesnt have enough draw to keep the air velocity up. So the motor goes rich as hell on top. Did about 60 dyno pulls playing with timing and pulse length. Helped some but I am still making less power then when i just had cams, stock tb and plenum. I kind of knew this setup would not help but I bought the stuff planning for the future. I am building a B18C right now. TypeR rods, CTR pistons, knife edged crank full balance and blueprint, 12:1 compression. With my B16A head and other parts this setup will make about 220 wheel hp. Several friends have a very similar setup and make 220+ wheel hp. So it sucks now because its slower but not for long.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily